AmEx Plat Car Towing Benedit

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by Sean Colahan, May 18, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone have experience w the car towing benefit with the platinum card? Is it good enough to consider canceling my AAA membership?

2. William JLP

William JLP Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hope you're still not by the side of the road, waiting for an answer.:eek:

Zomby Woof likes this.
  3. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't have direct experience but plenty of anecdotal experience. Amex towing does work, but in a different way. If you break down apparently Amex calls various service providers in the area and have them bid against each other. That process takes some time. AAA pre-contracts. This isn't to say you won't get service -- it just may take longer.

Also, AAA provides different services in addition, such as discounts, publications and child seat loans (some clubs). Whether that's worth the money or not is a different issue but you can't really compare the two on towing alone.

4. Flying Machine

Flying Machine Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes I have used it a few time. They use a 3rd party service to coordinate the "roadside assistance" up to $50 only in benefits per use and up to 4 times a year. Between what I have with Amex Platinum and Visa Signature I cancelled AAA years ago. Haven't missed it. But the wait times are a little longer with AMEX and Visa..