AmEx Plat + Boingo Benefit

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by Sean Colahan, Jun 4, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just signed up for my Boingo wireless account through my Platinum card. I was considering canceling my card at the end of the year with the huge devaluation in lounge benefit...but has anyone had experience in the short lived time of this added benefit. Seems like it could be one more tick in the column for keeping the card, especially for my wife to use on her phone when out of the US as we pay her phone bill (my company pays mine).

iolaire likes this.
  2. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've not sorted this out myself yet. My initial thought is that it's a lot less useful domestically these days with free options proliferating. It may be more useful outside the USA.

I've not see any information on signing up yet.

3. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll check it out tomorrow at ORD.

4. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    FYI: I found out about it via this tweet (I was waiting for it to be opened up), it has the URL to sign up:
    United1K @LoyalUA1K · May 30
    Sign up for your free unlimited @boingo acct, if you're an Amex Platinum card holder https://amex.boingo.com . #F2B @TheMrPickles @Saverocity
    I've not yet used it, the app shows MANY open hotspots so its hard to tell how many sites the boingo account opens up to you.

5. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    The app and the website hotspot locator are misleading: a whole bunch of them are free anyway (Burger King, Sbux, Staples, McD, Panera, etc.), but the largest number are "unverified" hotspots, which seems like open WiFi networks at people's homes ("netgrear", "dlink", etc.).

The only non-free that I have seen so far are airports (e.g., ORD) and hotels (e.g., Hilton), but in many of those I already get free access through other means. So it remains to be seen just how useful this benefit is.

ETA: The above refers to the US. I that expect internationally a free Boingo account may be more valuable.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
    iolaire likes this.
  6. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tried Boingo service at O'Hare today. No issues logging in with the account I created a few days ago. Speed was decent; on par with the new UC in T2, and better than old UC connections.

Sean Colahan and bigx0 like this.
  7. davythefatboy

davythefatboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was hoping that this would let me bypass the movie ad and many clicks to access Boingo in some NYC Subways, but there doesn't seem to be a way to log in, and the App doesn't help. Anyone able to use their free Amex Boingo account to quickly access Boingo in NYC Subway stations?