Amex Plat Benefits

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by wdmonet, Mar 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. I'm hoping to have people post little/unknown to most benefits here such as the platinum status for Fairmont if you stay five nights - do you have to register for this benefit - and if so is that through amex or Fairmont and is it for both U.S. and Canadian cardholders or only Canadian and if so why...
    I'm a relatively new plat member (Delta reserve for several years as well though) and the paucity of info when you get your welcome packet is amazing.

2. Of note - on FT I've noticed also that you can get spg gold by having amex plat.
    Someone on there also mentioned there are "41 benefits included but you have to register" does anyone know the validity of this???

3. Robbiedeluxe
    Original Member

Robbiedeluxe Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure if this answers your question, but from my own experience, a simple call to SPG saying that you have an AmEx Plat will give you SPG Gold. No questions asked. Even for supplementary cardholders.

4. PoorMansBidet
    Original Member

PoorMansBidet Silver Member

Status Points:
  5. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    that's just for those individuals who got the status without actually having the credentials to officially have it. if you have amex plat, you get spg gold status

6. PoorMansBidet
    Original Member

PoorMansBidet Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, I wasn't clear in my post. I meant the process of just calling and asking for it. You can still get the status but the process has changed.

7. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    yes, probably true. altho i thought if you were new to signing up this would be one of the 12 or so things to sign up for when you activate the card?

8. Correct - I just got off the phone with spg and you can fax a copy of your plat. statement to 519-633-8557 and just put the header "please upgrade to gold" with your spg number. They started doing this because of the simple code people called and registered with

9. On the Fairmont topic - I just got off the phone with AMEX plat cardmember services and they say there is NOT a current promotion nor is their a membership benefit with Fairmont but there may be with Canadian amx plat. members.
    Any info to the contrary would be appreciated as all info is only as good as the person you talk with on the phone from amex

10. stuartfla
    Original Member

stuartfla Silver Member

Status Points:
    That has been my experience as well - it is a benefit to Canadian card holders - I tried a while back to register a few times for the promotion but they were consistent in being invalid due to not being a Canadian cardholder.

11. Actually tired the fax - didn't work for spg and they gave me this number instead - 519-633-5865

flyer_o likes this.
  12. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
  13. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
  14. Tahkuct - thanks for the 2 links - it's clear on the canadian link that under travel/hotels there is the Fairmont stay 5 get platinum offer. The U.S. link I have and of course the same offer is nowhere to be had on there. Both offer the SPG gold update and I was told today it takes 5 business days to update their system.

There is a special running on the membership rewards site right now for up to 10X bonus points and that site is slick because you can filter by the multiplier you like 4X, 10X etc.

As far as the other bene's I didn't know about that you have to register for are the car programs from:
    1. Avis
    2. Hertz
    3. National

15. Also, if either AMEX or Fairmont read these threads they would be well served to honor the Fairmont Platinum deal for US cardholders that the Canadian cardholders get. I for one would bury the hatchet with them on a deal like that and I would think Fairmont would want to target any credit card holder these days that pays 450 just for the card - most likely they're not staying at 3 star hotel chains.......and most of the restaurants/bars I've been in at the fairmonts are pretty nice - especially the Scottsdale Princess and after all that's their money maker at each property......

16. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    and if you are an US cardmember, do not forget this benefit that you also have to register: https://rewards.americanexpress.com/olet/splash?campaignId=airline1&offerType=PlatinumAirlineChoice

cr34102 and wdmonet like this.
  17. ryandc99
    Original Member

ryandc99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Where and how do you register for the car benefits???

18. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    ryandc99 likes this.
  19. JackDaniels

JackDaniels Active Member

Status Points:
  20. sophiegirl
    Original Member

sophiegirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am still trying to decide if this upgrade is worth it for my family and I...(first problem is that my current offer is 25K, and I am reading of others who are getting 50K or even 100K offers! :>) )

Would be interested in hearing what your favorite/most used/most valuable bennie IS with this card- I know what the PR says, but do you actually use all the bennies? Are they actually as "available" as they make it sound?

For $450....I would love to hear some " first person" stories, so to speak.

Thanks for your help...

21. stinger
    Original Member

stinger Active Member

Status Points:
    Just had my SPG account upgraded, when I called Amex they gave me the number to fax the statement and within two days had an email that my account had been upgraded. Fairmont I did last year as I was already a platinum member, all they needed was my Amex number.

22. Disco Volante
    Original Member

Disco Volante Silver Member

Status Points:
    The main cardholder receives a Priority Pass card giving unlimted free access to PP lounges, and the (free) supplementary Platinum cardholder receives one too. This is a great benefit in addition to the lounge access that comes with the cards.

23. Sandy
    Original Member

Sandy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd like to hear too. If there's a good signup bonus, it might be worth it.

24. Which location are you referring to, this is NOT true for US based Plats.

25. ctownflyer
    Original Member

ctownflyer Silver Member

Status Points: