Amex OPEN Discount

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by Seacarl, Apr 19, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Amex OPEN program offers a 5% discount on U.S. Hyatt hotels when paid with a business Amex card. This is an attractive offer.

Does this discount only apply to Hyatt (Regency, Grand, Park) and Andaz, or does it also apply to Hyatt Place and Hyatt House?

Feedback to any Hyatt social media team - I'd really like it to apply universally to Hyatts in the USA regardless of brand so that I don't have to think about which card to use at which property. As a small business owner, often Hyatt Place or House fit my needs because of location, and it seems punitive not to inclue them in the program... so my request: make it universal!

IDGflygirl and OceanBreezes like this.
  2. theBOAT
    Original Member

theBOAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi Carl,

I do not believe that the benefit applies to the others you're asking about. They are specifically detailed out on AmEx's site here: http://opensavings.com

Small text:
    Hyatt Hotels & Resorts®: Payment must be made with a Business Card from American Express OPEN. "Eligible" means the first $10,000 in spending per Card Account in a calendar year at participating Park Hyatt, Andaz, Grand Hyatt, Hyatt Regency and Hyatt hotel or resort locations within the U.S., excluding Hyatt Place, Hyatt House and Hyatt Residence Club locations, and excludes charges relating to third party sales transactions (such as prepaid travel agent, wholesaler, on-line travel service, Internet access or similar transactions) not paid directly at the hotel. For a complete list of participating locations, visit open.hyatt.com. Purchases made by all Cards under a particular Card Account (including the Basic Card as well as any Additional Cards) are combined for the purpose of calculating OPEN Savings benefits. All OPEN Savings benefits are credited to the Basic Cardmember only. General OPEN Savings terms and conditions also apply. Visit opensavings.com to learn more.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

theBOAT

IDGflygirl and OceanBreezes like this.
  3. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for the detailed citation, that is useful, and I'll try to remember to always use my Chase Hyatt Visa at Hyatt Place and House locations.

But I do repeat my request to Hyatt & Amex to please make the OPEN program consistent across all U.S. Hyatt locations, regardless of brand, to make it simpler for members.

4. Over the Atlantic

Over the Atlantic Silver Member

Status Points:
    I recently learned--the hard way--that availability of the discount is even more discriminate than simply HR/PH/GH vs. HP/HH. Here is the list of participating properties:

http://www.hyatt.com/hyatt/amex-open-participating.jsp

For instance, the Hyatt Regency Suites north of Atlanta does NOT participate in the program...:rolleyes:

traveltoomuch likes this.
  5. theBOAT
    Original Member

theBOAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree with that - why not have it all (or nothing)?

theBOAT

6. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    What a PITA
    I bet if you ask at the front desk, they don't even know if a given property participates. So now we have to check this chart before every stay if we are to use a business Amex to benefit from the OPEN program? What a PITA

marcwint55 and traveltoomuch like this.
  7. OceanBreezes

OceanBreezes Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does the reservation have to be made through AMEX? Or, do I just need to use an AMEX Open card? Can it be combined with a corporate discount?

karung99 likes this.
  8. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's credited back to your credit card, just like the fedex discount. They probably don't know, but are you really going to walk when you are at the front desk, Carl?

It's one of those things, if you want to use the right cc to get the most out of it, you have to do your research ahead of time.

I generally can't use this discount either, at least not on my work stays where I have to use a non-point earning Amex corp card.

It's up to you if you think the discount is worth pursuing or not.

Just use an open credit card, amex will post the discount separately from the charge a few days after the charge posts to your account.

-David

karung99 and OceanBreezes like this.
  9. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    are you referring to a type of bread or something related to one's posterior?

10. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, I'm not going to walk out. I just need to know whether to give them my Amex OPEN card or my Hyatt card. And it kind of sucks that there's not an easy way to know which one.

karung99 likes this.
  11. karung99
    Original Member

karung99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, your reservation doesn't need to be with Open card, just paid at check out.
    I have done many many time.

LIH Prem likes this.
  12. karung99
    Original Member

karung99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is a list of property listed, please visit opensavings.com to learn more.

LIH Prem likes this.
  13. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depends on how much you value Hyatt points. You could just use the Hyatt card to be sure. You'd be giving up the five cents per dollar but getting 3 Hyatt points, for a cost per point of 1.67 cents. I can live with that cost. (If all points were earned or bought that way, the top redemption like Park Hyatt Paris Vendôme would cost $367.40.)

IDGflygirl likes this.
  14. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know that the info can be found. It's that I often forget to check, and it's an extra step. Maybe as J&C say, just take the surer thing.
    You are leaving out the points that you earn on the OPEN card. If you use an SPG business Amex you will earn an SPG point which I value at close to 3c. I believe the BRG card earns 2 MR points, which would also be close to 3c. So it's really trading 8c in value for 3 Hyatt points, or 2.67 cents per point, and in most cases you can't get that value. And the SPG and MR points have more flexibility if you need certain airlines...

15. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very good point. So, if you don't want to do the research on who participates, either use the OPEN and be happy with one SPG point per dollar and a potential return of 5 cents, or use the Hyatt card to be certain.

16. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    My approach has been to use the Hyatt Visa aboard, and an Amex OPEN card in USA. Then I realize that HP doesn't participate, so I switched my HP stays to the Hyatt Visa, at least when I remember. Now I learned that some of the full service Hyatt properties don't participate. That's where the PITA factor comes in because now you have to remember to go find a special web site to check participating properties... It's just like when certain SPG or HHonors properties don't participate in a promotion... They are preying on people who forget to check the details.

17. theBOAT
    Original Member

theBOAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    FYI to others,

AmEx apparently defaults their new OPEN cards to earning extra MR points now, and not the cash back. My wife & I just received our 1st OPEN card and used it at a stay at the Grand Hyatt SF. I kept checking the account for the statement credit, but it never showed up. Right before I called to inquire, though, I noticed bonus MR points on the statement. I had to go into the OPEN site and switch the preference to earning $ instead of extra points. I'd rather have the cash...

theBOAT

Sent from my iPad using milepoint app

Tenmoc and IDGflygirl like this.