Amex offer 100,000 Hilton points for $550.00

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by satman40, May 13, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Targeted offer, just a heads up..if your are a Hilton Guy,

Wonder if this would make you Diamond...

2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nope .. you need spend $40k on one of their affiliated cards or earn 120k base points by staying at their hotels.. either of these must be achieved in a calendar year.

3. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    So, enough for one night at the Conrad Hong Kong (which I can get for about $500 USD without putting money into illiquid points). Yawn.

boondr and pointshogger like this.
  4. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I tend to agree,

The big boys do the math, they are not there to give the place away.

5. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fair enough ... one can always rationalize ones opinion/decision and even provide examples to support such. :)

But 100k HH points would also get 2 1/2 nights at the Hilton Barcelona which is quoting the lowest rate of 430+ euros for the night of June 2 or alternately 2 1/2 Nights at the Hilton Diagonal-al Mar (a nicer hotel IMHO) also in Barcelona for June 4-7 where the lowest room rates are around 300 euro/night.
    Was just looking for those dates for a relative ...so it they wanted to uses points 100k would be a good deal for the $550 . no?? ( with the additional plus you get to avoid the often high room taxes when paying with points)

Last edited: May 13, 2014
    gconnery likes this.
  6. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    As always depends. I only value HH points around .4 cents at this point, but that's because I get about that much value out of them at the places I stay. If you have a specific redemption in mind and know how much you'll save then of course it makes sense.

7. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I also find American chain prices horribly inflated overseas. You can easily find good hotels at half the price, as long as you aren't obsessed with the shiny card saying you're special. Are those rates comparable to non-chain hotels in Barcelona of comparable quality?

8. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    Kalboz and eponymous_coward like this.
  9. pointshogger

pointshogger Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately Hilton points have devalued so much that 100K points does not seem like much.

kenbo and eponymous_coward like this.
  10. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmm Did it go up? I have 2 nights booked right now @ 160k.

My last and best HH redemption was at 3.1cpp.

11. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Conrad HK is flexible, sometimes it can be 90K...

12. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought the discussion was whether 100k HH points were worth $550.00? So it seems unable to refute my point that there are circumstances where it may very well be a reasonable value you wander off into mentioning (with a clear perception of looking down your nose at anyone with status or is it just envy :)) into "American chains" and " shiny cards" ????:rolleyes:

Fair enough... but you seem to be talking from both sides of your mouth:) Remind me again who was the one who brought up the Conrad HK? ...so are "American chains" OK in Hong Kong but not in Spain?

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  13. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    There are legitimate edge cases where I could see value (case in point, Conrad Macao, where the cost per night is closer to $300-400 USD, points per night is 40K, one of a few places where Hilton didn't nuke value in their last devaluation- as a matter of fact, this is where I am cleaning out the last of my HH points). That being said, the general case of American chains being overpriced overseas AND Hilton points being overpriced at ~0.5 cpp, and difficult to extract a lot of aspirational value out of, are not mutually exclusive.

That being said, if you want to go to town buying them, and you've got a great way to spend the points, by all means, do. I won't be. I do have this particular shiny card as a result of being a MP supporter, but I don't see a lot of value in hotel chain loyalty a lot of the time; I prefer being loyal to my wallet on Kayak, Priceline, Hotels.com and so on, with some exceptions. There are markets and times where defaulting to Hilton and using a promo is about the same as Pricelining/Kayaking/Hotels.com (insert random hotel here), pus you get a bunch of points on top (I've gotten some steals during low season in PHX)... but envy because people are sticking with a chain or buying up points I think aren't always great value, and where I'd rather just keep cash and use that? Not really. I find lots of value by stepping outside US-based chains, but to each their own, I guess. Whatever works for you.

Last edited: May 14, 2014