AMEX not charging me

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by Dovster, Feb 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Between Jan 8 and today I have made 13 separate purchases on my HHonors Amex at one particular shop in Israel. All the purchases were between 80 and 110 shekels (roughly $22-$30).

Each purchase went through with no problem. The shop owner insists that he has been paid for them (except, of course, the most recent -- and his account is showing that those are due). Amex, however, has never billed me.

I called them a few minutes ago and the CSR checked with her supervisor, who in turn checked with HER supervisor, and they all agree that this is impossible. They insist that if the merchant got paid then the debit would have to appear on my account.

Other purchases I made in Israel show up immediately. One, which I made today, doesn't show on line but the CSR was able to see it.

I imagine that one day they will all suddenly show up but I have to wonder at what point Amex will no longer bill me for them. Six months from now? A year from now? When is the cut off date?

lisamcgu and Mr.Flyer like this.
  2. skofarrell
    Original Member

skofarrell Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is weird. I wouldn't worry about it, its on the merchant, and if the charges show up in a month or two, you received a free ride....

3. skofarrell
    Original Member

skofarrell Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does this merchant sell gold bars or coins? You may have stumbled across an amex wormhole! :D

Dovster likes this.
  4. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, this merchant sells tickets in the Israeli national lottery. He has a small business in an Arab village not far from my home and whenever I'm near him I stop in and buy a Coke and some lottery scratch cards. Against all odds, I have managed to stay about even (perhaps even winning a bit) on my purchases.

As he is a friend, and I know that he can not afford to have me buy without paying, when I saw that I wasn't being billed I asked him to check on it. When he runs the charge it goes through the Lottery (even for my Cokes) and he told me that the Lottery has been paying him. I became concerned that the Lottery, not getting its money, would take it back from him and he contacted them. They, in turn, did a records search and told him that Amex has been paying my charges with no delays.

I don't know who in the heck Amex is getting the money from but it is not me. I suggest that all MPers look at their Amex bills to make certain that they are not being debited for Israeli lottery tickets. :)

5. Bikeguy
    Original Member

Bikeguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    High class problem.

You realize there will be many MPers PMing you for the exact location and flying there solely to purchase lottery tickets and get free MR points.

skofarrell likes this.
  6. skofarrell
    Original Member

skofarrell Silver Member

Status Points:
    In March Amex is eliminating forex fees on Plat and Cent cards, so all we need is a mistake fare on El Al and IT'S ON!!!!

7. Kagehitokiri
    Original Member

Kagehitokiri Silver Member

Status Points:
    its not showing in your available credit? do the credit cards have the new pending charges thing like charge cards? ive liked that feature.

i cant remember what it was now, but i had a charge take at least 3 months if not 6 months or possibly more before showing up. was very odd. just kept the receipt out and didnt clear until it finally posted.

8. polar_bear
    Original Member

polar_bear Active Member

Status Points:
    Well if your not being charged for them it's kinda hard to lose big [​IMG]