AMEX MR - Which Program to Transfer To?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Toula, Sep 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    We've always transferred out points to BA and used them to fly to Asia on Cathay. Can't really complain as we have just booked our 5th and 6th tix in First Class using these points.

However, if it is true and the sky is falling and life as we know is going on end with the introduction of Avios, which AMEX partner would be the one to work towards transferring to? The only partner they advertise that I have any real knowledge of is Hawaiian and I think their awards are too expensive.

For me it perhaps looks like Air France, ANA or Singapore Airlines. Anyone have any thoughts on which direction they will go?

I'm also wondering what direction AMEX is going to take with partners to ensure there is sufficient transfer partners to keep us all interested in spending with them.

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Whichever has a decent price on the specific award you're looking for when you are ready to redeem. AF, NH and SQ all have YQs so that hurts.

But moving the points out before you've identified the specific award and inventory is a very risky move.

3. planensimple

planensimple Active Member

Status Points:
    Agree with wandering aramean on this that unless you have a specific requirement in mind moving points out isn't a very good move. BA was really an attractive option for partner awards but with that changing now and the airlines moving more towards fuel surcharges it makes best sense to move your points in the program of an airline that you will be traveling the most.

4. phonehome
    Original Member

phonehome Active Member

Status Points:
    My current favorite is Continental. Once that's gone in a few weeks, I would generally say Aeroplan. This is mostly because I fly to Europe and Asia primarily, and both of these programs de facto allow round-the-world rewards with open jaws and stopovers (1 with CO, 2 with Aeroplan). If your travel goals are different you might be better off elsewhere, of course.

5. aussieflyer
    Original Member

aussieflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Gotta agree with WA that transferring out without a redemption in mind
    s not advisable.
    However, I have to say that CO is an awesome program and that if you earn amex quick enough its definitely something to think about before the they stop transferring.
    On the other hand, Chase Sapphire Preferred and the Chase CO will continue to earn miles so if you use those then there may be no need to transfer...

As to your question, they've added Virgin thus far. Thanks for nothing...

Toula likes this.