AmEx MR transfer bonuses to other airlines?

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by cdarland, Mar 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Does anyone know if AmEx MR transfer to other airlines with bonuses? I know about DL, AirTran & BA, but I'm wondering if they'll have a bonus transfer to Continental before that relationship is severed in September. Don't know if I should hold off, and get them eventually as United miles (when CO and United accounts "become one"), or transfer now to DL.

thanks!
    CDarland

2. MIA
    Original Member

MIA Active Member

Status Points:
    I cannot think of any reason that American Express would offer a promotion for transfers to Continental. In fact, Membership Rewards' terms explicitly allow American Express to limit transfers to departing partners. I don't expect this to happen, just trying to give you a sense of the mindset. I think the recurring bonuses and MQM offers for transfers to DL are intended to lure CO flyers to try Delta, and I think American Express will continue to aggressively promote transfers to BA and DL after CO is gone because those are their deepest relationships.

miles and smiles likes this.
  3. brobbel

brobbel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just received my first offer for a bonus when transferring miles (have a Dutch Amex), in this case to BA. I'm not a member of BA, so was hoping the same bonus would appear for other transfers, but I guess Im out of luck? Not interested in BA/DL/AirTran...

4. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    Saw that as well (NL Amex), but alas, only for BA...

5. MIA - thanks for the info re: MR. I'm new to MR, so don't know what to expect. Trying to focus mileage accumulation on United/CO, but I also have a big pile of DL miles.

6. AdamRx
    Original Member

AdamRx Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is it the same 40% bonus being offered in the US? I would say its worth joining BA just to take advantage of that bonus, even if you only use them the one time. Just my two cents.

7. AdamRx
    Original Member

AdamRx Silver Member

Status Points:
    The beauty of MR is you can tailor your transfers to each particular journey you are planning. Aeroplan is highly regarded when booking on its partners. Alitalia has better rates than most for business class (including on its partners), but its customer service is a little harder to deal with.

8. tassojunior
    Original Member

tassojunior Silver Member

Status Points:
    Last June AA had 35% bonus, US 50% bonus, and UA 40% on either MR or SPG. (was in "view from the wing").

As the world's biggest mile ho I expect the US promo back for sure.

Unless you have the 50K for DL and want the MQM miles for status, I wouldn't invest in SkyPesos. They're not very usable for many.

9. neil
    Original Member

neil Silver Member

Status Points:
    are the MR transfer promos always listed on the transfer page underneath the airline?