Amex MR mall and the Apple Store (currently 6x)

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by schnitzel, Jun 13, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    First, a note about the 6x in the title: that's how Amex describes it. But it's 5x "more" and 1x points just for the regular purchase.

Still, for the Apple Store, it's a great deal.

Next, a question which I'll be able to answer myself soon enough, but I'm wondering if anyone has been through it.

I took my kids to the Apple Store yesterday to look at new laptops, now that the new ones were released. They each needed to decide which they are getting (birthday + graduation). We all decided, and the guy asked if he should go get them. I said, no, I'll order online for the points. He said, order online and do in-store pickup. Points will work just fine.

Now, I really doubt he knows the specifics of each affiliate deal, and he didn't even ask me which I was using, but it stands to reason that this should work. So I ordered online, did in-store pickup, we had dinner, and I got an email that the order was ready. We went back and got the laptops.

Am I in for a world of hurt here? There are a lot of MR points on the line.

Bluto, alohastephen and autolycus like this.
  2. cotter77
    Original Member

cotter77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    with that many points on the line, if i wasnt sure, I would have made kids wait it out. a few days waiting and anticipating wouldnt kill them, teach 'em some patience too
    but my bet is that the points will show.

3. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, yeah. Camp is coming. Wives (well, one) get involved. It's a high-pressure situation. I had to weigh being the bad guy vs. the chance I don't get the points.

You just can't say, down the road, "we're not going to Hawaii because you couldn't wait for your laptop." It just doesn't work, for me.

wrxmom and Bluto like this.
  4. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    You should be fine and get all the points. There are tons of reports of people doing the exact same thing for places like Home Depot and Sears. I don't know why the Apple store would be any different. You ordered through the website, which you got to through the MR portal. That should be the only requirement.

Good luck! And let us know how the laptops are, especially if one of them is the new MBPretina.

5. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    No Retina here - at least, no on this go-round. Maybe next time.

I'll post back when I hear.

autolycus and FlyingFree like this.
  6. Bluto
    Original Member

Bluto Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for pointing out the 6x. I am considering getting one for my wife.

7. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're thinking of the Air, I'm really happy with mine so far. Faster than my Pro, and I take it to work each day and can't believe how light it is. Slightly higher-res screen, too.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:

Same here, I love my late 2010 model Air. Looked at the new retina displays last night. Lovely screen, but won't make me gie up my smaller Air.

9. Bluto
    Original Member

Bluto Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually, I was thinking the new Pro, but after reading some reviews I am worried about battery life and the general inconvenience of carrying around a heavier laptop. The Air looks pretty good. I might go with that. I'm slightly concerned about the smaller screen size. I am a non-Mac user and am accustomed to the large displays that seem to be the exception in the Macbook offerings.

10. Ed Ip

Ed Ip Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry to highjack this thread a bit...do you all know how AMEX tracks the purchase? Is it the URL or cookie in the browser?

I usually purchase Apple products via an affiliate link that gives a decent % off. When I go through the AMEX link, it lands me in the "general" store without the discount. If I change the URL slightly after the fact, will I still get the points?

Thanks!

autolycus likes this.
  11. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know if that will work. I have to choose between an 8% discount on most items or the points. It's really not possible to get both via the EPP link. But sure, give it a try and see if you get the points also and post the results.

-David

autolycus likes this.
  12. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Post back with results. $200 off a macbook outweighs the extra points in almost all situations, IMO, but if there's a way to get both . . .

LIH Prem likes this.
  13. Ed Ip

Ed Ip Silver Member

Status Points:
    I chickened out and ending up using the AMEX link without switching to the affiliate URL. I was getting a 13" MBP with AppleCare and the difference between retail vs. affiliate was ~$120. The value of the points is more than the upfront monetary saving at an ultra conservative 1.1c/ea valuation. Another thing that sealed the deal was that I really needed the laptop this weekend (have to give up my current MBP and need to move data) and affiliate did not allow me to pay online and pick up at the store.

So long story short, I don't have anything to report. :(

14. websteth

websteth Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've done this several times to get things at the Apple store and American Express stilla ward the bonus points. The Apple Store guys had to ask why I was ordering things they always had in inventory until I explained I wanted to get the bonus points on my card. I've now seen several of them asking customers if they thought about that before they purchase.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Note to self: Must remember that the next time I buy stuff at Apple Store. Like last week's gift iPad. Sigh!

16. KathInJax

KathInJax Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, since the site has been down for about a week, you didn't lose out on those points. Last week I did receive the points for a purchase that I made at the end of May at the Apple Store (sadly, not a new iPad).

17. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did a purchase on May 30, but no points yet. When was yours?

KathInJax likes this.
  18. Dangjr213

Dangjr213 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I dont have experience with the MR mall but I've used the in store pickup with Shop Discover 4 times now and have had no problems.

19. KathInJax

KathInJax Silver Member

Status Points:
    It was around May 20th.

20. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    So I paid with my Starwood Amex, but I went through the Membership Rewards mall. Am I right that this shouldn't matter? I should still get my Membership Rewards points?

Amex is telling me I don't qualify because I didn't pay with an MR card.

KathInJax likes this.
  21. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    KathInJax likes this.
  22. KathInJax

KathInJax Silver Member

Status Points:
    Usually the T&C of the site required you to pay with an AMEX - I always assumed that it had to be a Membership Reward earning card, but I think that some people had luck with other cards.

The site has been down about a week to a week and a half, there are reports on the FT thread that indicate that it is "down indefinitely". TPG also posted about it this morning.