Amex membership rewards transfer

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by smh88, Jul 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. smh88

smh88 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am curious if anyone has input on the pro's and con's to transferring amex m.r. points to areoplan for use on lh/swiss/ and sq awards? i have the ability to tranfer a large amount of miles and am not thrilled with the continetal option and am not aware if all nippon or aeroplan is the way to go. I take about 8 flights a year in 1st on Swiss or LH from lax to gva or Zurich. As such i have limited ways to replentish my miles and more account for less the 3 cents a mile when i purchase miles thru a consolidator. being miles and more takes 170k for that award and it is often tricky to get what i want up untill a few days prior to flying, it would be nice to have a plan b. Question is does Areoplan have the same ease as miles and more for booking lh/swiss awards in f ? I also like the mini rtw option even though i understand the mileage required has increased. it still looks like the best option as i fly arount he world about 6x a year and spend so much time trying to piece together a decent ticket using one ways or partial purchase and rewards. Thx

2. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

global_happy_traveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    i believe AMEX:Aeroplan is 1:1...... AMEX:CO is 1:0.5?

J class North America - Asia is 125,000 miles
    F class North America - Asia is 180,000 miles

On Aeroplan flexibly route your reward redemption as long as it does not exceed the Maximum Permitted Mileage. In there, you can have 2 stopovers + 1 point of turnaround.

Many of us find great value using it for North America - Asia via/stopping over in Europe.

Aeroplan also allows you to access full Star Alliance inventories (even though their search browser sucks).

3. smh88

smh88 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the feedback. I assume the award you mention is for a mini rtw and for that it seems like a no brainer. It also looks like aeroplan requires less miles for a 1st class award from north america to europe then Miles and More? Again thx for the input.

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP

If you make the AmEx transfer, would you continue to credit your paid flights to LH? I think you could attach your LH FF number to award flights on LH/LX using AC miles to have your status recognized. If you switch all of your earnings to AC, are there LH status perks that you would lose when flying LH/LX in FC? My impression is that HON or even SEN status means much more to LH than *Gold, in particular for IROPs handling.

SQ awards, especially in FC, are notoriously difficult to obtain with anything other than SQ miles. Even if AC doesn't block, if SQ doesn't make awards available to partners, you can't get the award tickets you want.

5. smh88

smh88 Silver Member

Status Points:

6. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

Status Points:
    SQ flights for redemption are only available on older aircrafts (ie. 77W, 380, 345 are blocked). North America to Europe, the only option left is the 744 between FRA-JFK.

On occasion there may be promotions that SQ will release some newer aircraft seats. Right now i believe its SIN-SYD on their 380 and earlier this year (but most are gone now) on their 380 between LAX-NRT-SIN.

For us AC members, we find the easiest redemption being LH, OZ, NH and TG.

7. smh88

smh88 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I very rarely utilize paid tickets on LH as the cost is high and i usually can get an award seat . Every other year i need to requalify for Senator Status and as such ususlly do so by flying all of my star alliance flights over a calander year and crediting them to to my Miles and More account. When i need SQ flights in the past i have been able to get them by transferring Amex to SQ and trying to get the lower mileage award (saver) in f. If it is not available i have been able to waitlist the reward assuming i have the miles in my acount at the time of the waitlist request. I have been able to replenish my Miles and more account every other year by buying miles and more miles at a rate of about 2.5 cents a mile using chf . This seems to be expensive as a full F in Miles and More from North America to Europe is now 170k. This ends up costing me about 3500 chf or almost 4k usd. This is still a good value for the award but getting more costly now that the Miles and More reward levels have increased. It appears as if the Aero plan option is better as an amex mile is 2.5 cents USD for purchase thru amex and mileage levels are lower? Does this sound right? Thanks for the feedback.

8. smh88

smh88 Silver Member

Status Points:
  9. smh88

smh88 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The biggest perk for me being a Senator on Miles and More is the ability to have service on weekends with an agent.Miles and More awards sometimes require 24 to 48 hours to confirm ticketing and sometimes the web does not allow me the opportunity to fully figure out a way to get the trip. This happens only when i cant get the straight routing i am looking for and need to get creative. Thru amex i am plat on U.S. air and Gold on Continental. I am also lifetime plat on AA for being granfathered after hitting 8 million miles thru Advantage and a million miler on Delta so i have most of the alliances covered. I have recently bulked up on B.A. miles to take advantage of the transfer bonus from Amex to B.A. and am now stocked for the next 12 months.This will allow me to attain all the cx flights from Lax to HKG in F for 150k. Thanks for the input.

10. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    MR exchange to CO is 1:1, same as to AC, though it expires at the end of September though as UA is not a MR partner. MR has had bonus transfer periods when it becomes 1:1.25. OP missed major opportunity to lock in a few awards at 20%-25% less AE miles. LH awards are higher because LH gives more miles per flight when paying full fare, particularly in C and F. When you can earn more miles, you can charge more miles for awards. Great for expense account fliers, not so great for non-subsidized FFers. MR transfers are quite fast, showing in AE within minutes of an online transfer.

11. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

Status Points:
    on my AMEX Canada account it says the following:

"1,000 Membership Rewards points is equal to 750 OnePass Miles"

12. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got the sense that the OP is American-based and wad using the US card conversion rate.

13. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

Status Points:
  14. 2MM_Guy
    Original Member

2MM_Guy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I decided to keep my membership rewards at AMEX until I draw down Aeroplan (too many points up for the 7 year rule). Keeping them at AMEX means that they don't expire and the clock will only start when they are transferred.