AmEx losing free SkyClub guest access 1 May 2014

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by Wandering Aramean, Jan 10, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    This change affects both the co-branded AmEx cards (e.g. Delta AmEx Reserve) and the Platinum/Centurion cards: No more free guests at SkyClubs effective 1 May 2014.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/e...aircraft/delta-sky-club/news-and-updates.html

AmEx holders will pay $29/guest/visit effective 1 May 2014. Buying a ful membership which includes guest access will cost $695 effective immediately. Later in the spring individual memberships will go on sale at the old rates.

The only winners I see with this SkyClub rate hike are single Diamond Medallions who never travel with friends or co-workers.

riverchica likes this.
  2. riverchica
    Original Member

riverchica Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow - I just saw this e-mail, too. The death knell for my years of Plat card loyalty.

3. Laptop Nomad

Laptop Nomad Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a Plat card member you still get in for free. You have to pay for your guest which only two allowed. So if you have a family or people traveling on business with you of three or more you won't be able to enter.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anything more than the card member - that's two or more, not three - won't get in unless they pay the $29/person.

5. bmg42000
    Original Member

bmg42000 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder if they will offer anything to replace the downgraded lounge access. If they got creative (say amazon prime for free forever) . Than the 95$ savings may make up for the loss of lounge access (at least for me to consider getting it),

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    If they want to get creative, they'd better hury up. My AF is coming this month.

7. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    They'll probably offer something eventually, but the timing of that probably depends on how much, if any, notice they had from DL about these changes. If AmEx found out at the same time we did (or even shortly before), we may have to wait a while.

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I would think Amex would have a contractual agreement with Delta that clearly spells out the benefit afforded to Platinum cardholders.

9. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I had trouble with this as well. How can Delta unilaterally change the agreement? Unless the agreement said something like the Amex cardholder will be granted the same access as someone who is a Skyclub member -- but even if that were the case now there is more than one membership level.

So, perhaps Amex agreed to it and they are getting something in return, like a reduced cost any time someone enters the club? Or a cut of the $29?

10. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    The agreement can easily have stated "member will receive access equivalent to that of a Delta Skyclub membership" -- the fact that there's a new membership level at $695 while the existing $450 membership will continue to exist with the new, more restrictive terms, makes it likely that something like this is going on. The terms could also state that members have access "according to prevailing rules" at the time of entry, or something like that.

Also, the new membership level takes effect immediately, but the loss of AMEX guest privileges takes place in a few months -- which could mean that they're running out the clock on the existing agreement with the terms in effect when that agreement was signed.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Given those close relationship between Delta and Amex, I cannot imagine that they were not notified in advance.

12. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    There most likely is an agreement or contract of some sort, but there's absolutely no chance in hell that any information of that kind will ever be released to the public. And DL certainly had lawyers review what they were planning before they announced it. We can assume, therefore, that what they're doing is permissible under any agreement that may exist. DL's not stupid.

It would be quite logical to think that, but, similar to what I noted above, there's no way we'll ever find out for sure. And, as I noted in post #7, it depends on how much notice AmEx got. And I doubt we'd ever find that out, either.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  13. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Delta explained it via tweet this way: "If you have Club access as a benefit of your AmEx Plat Card, you will receive the same access as an Individual Member beginning Spring 2014."

14. Punch24

Punch24 New Member

Status Points:
    Have been a Amex Platinum member since 1988. With change along with reduced Club Access, the annual fee for myself and family, the ROI and value of Amex is falling fast and time for another product.

ballardFlyer likes this.
  15. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree. Weighing options carefully before canceling.

16. John Deere

John Deere Silver Member

Status Points:
    I hope it wasn't the same card/account all those years...

17. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    This and AA/US lounge access also going away in March.

18. AWR

AWR New Member

Status Points:
    I have a Delta Amex reserve. I would expect to see an offset in the $450 annual fee or an increased MQM benefit or another benefit. It is pretty clear that as a result of this change imposed by Delta that AMEX no doubt will have to pay Delta less money that they receive out of our $450 cost for the lounge access. I would expect that AMEX should be able to use its negotiating power with Delta as it is a major revenue stream for Delta. If on the other hand the benefits go away with no change in the $450 card cost and AMEX thinks that the Delta Reserve Card holders are going to pay $450 without the benefits I think they might be shocked by the amount of card members who cancel cards or downgrade their cards. If I worked for AMEX and I was negotiating this deal I would increase my merchant fees by 1/2 % that Delta pays AMEX unless they reinstate the lounge access.
    I travel extensively and I have never seen a Delta Lounge full, furthermore I have not seen any change in Delta SkyClubs in terms of what they offer in the way of better food. (Ive actually been thrown out for bringing in a sandwich) - Delta has no food of any substance like the KLM lounges for example. This is a money grab play by Delta plain and simple.

William JLP and foxberg like this.
  19. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are joking, right? :eek:

William JLP likes this.
  20. AWR

AWR New Member

Status Points:
    No just yesterday in MKE actually. Nobody at all in the club and they told me I had to leave or they would mind my sandwich. I told them their bagels tasted like rubber they had no fillings for them and I don't want pretzels or cookies for breakfast. I asked if they any real food and they said no but no outside food rule was policy. This was a sandwich and not a vindalu curry but they simply didn't care. I am a Diamond member (Platinum as of next week) I just told them I would rather go elsewhere and I left their club with nobody inside it. Ladies at the front desk looked kind of shocked as i left within 3 minutes of entering.

foxberg likes this.
  21. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had always brought my food into various AC (AA) in different airports. And no one ever said anything. DL is out of their mind.

AWR likes this.
  22. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    We might see that eventually.

That likely depends on the contracts and/or agreements that DL & AmEx have, and as I said above, there's no way in hell we'll ever get a look at them.

Why on earth would you expect that? If they had that much influence (and if they cared to use it), these changes would have been far less severe, or may not have even happened.

I think the number of people who will cancel their cards over this will be far fewer than you suspect. There may be people who have this as their only AmEx and don't want to cancel it, there may be people travel alone, there may be people who agree with the changes, and there may be those who don't care. There certainly will be cancellations, but I doubt it'll be enough to make a significant difference.

And then AmEx might switch to another credit card provider, and your boss would blame you for losing a major partner. Oh, and DL might stop taking AmEx, which means you would loose the transaction fees, and your customers wouldn't be able to use their AmEx cards to book DL flights. How many cancellations do you think you'd see then? Assuming you kept your job long enough to see any.

Just because you've never seen a SkyClub full doesn't mean they're never full.

That's a big part of it, most likely, but so what? If DL thinks they can make money doing this, they're going to do it. DL isn't a charity.

gregm likes this.
  23. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I kept AmEx PL card for this year, have an additional one as well. But I think I'll cancel it next year. I can't justify $425 a year (for 2 cards after $200 rebate) for a DL lounge access on occasion. I can get Global Entree and Lounge Club (same as Priority Pass, but I think that the guest gets a comp entrance as well) from Ritz Carlton CC that would cost me just $95 a year after $300 travel rebates. Plus, it gives me Gold with Marriott every year after a $10K annual spend. I basically never stay at SPG but do at the Marriott sometimes. I have another free AmEx card that would keep my MR alive and continue my age of credit history with AmEx for credit reports. I'll wait for my GF to go through the TSA interview, get another $200 credit next year and by next March - bye-bye PL. So, for me AmEx offers lost its luster. It could be different for you though.