Amex letters about account info compromise (Target?)

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by HaveMilesWillTravel, Jan 16, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Got two identical letters for two of my credit cards today, telling me that they believe my card number, expiration date and name has been compromised by a merchant breach (they don't mention the merchant, but I assume it's target). No new cards issued, just a promise to monitor my accounts more closely and some generic links with info for identity theft etc. Seems odd... Citi historically has replaced cards when someone at a merchant came down with a case of bad cold.

Travelsavant and Newscience like this.
  2. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    My wife received two fraud alerts on different cards a couple of days ago. There were purchases on both cards, and both have been replaced.

Travelsavant and Newscience like this.
  3. Travelsavant
    Original Member

Travelsavant Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not AMEX but 1st time for me: got a "compromised" card alert from BOA today & new card being issued immediately. Called & asked for more info but they said (1) it wasn't Target & (2) in keeping with current laws, the bank was not notified as to which merchant reported the "# may have been" alert. Rather than "wait & see" BOA policy is to cancel the cards listed & issue new ones. PITA but safer way to go.

4. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Important note: If this happens on a Chase Ultimate Rewards card once they lock your account you will not be able to use your points until you activate the new card. We had them wait while I transferred my wife's points to my account -- because we did need them for a redemption.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  5. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's nice to know

6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Keep in mind that Neiman Marcus and a few other retailers were also compromised, but on a smaller scale, which is why it's not making the news as much as the Target story.

Sammich likes this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I've never in my life shopped at Needless Markups.

That said, I haven't been at a Target in a long time either. If they kept my credit card information on file from an in store purchase six or eight months ago, they deserve all the flak they are getting. They shouldn't be hoarding that data.

Counsellor and viguera like this.
  8. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's best to assume that anything that goes into a computer will never, ever go away. In the case of credit cards, if you want the ability to return the item and get a refund, I imagine they may well need to store the CC # -- I don't know if you can reverse a transaction using only the approval code.

I've written a couple of systems that handle credit card payments (for very small organizations, not Target!) and I have always been successful in convincing the client not to store the credit card number at all -- just the approval code. It's a slight hassle for repeat customers and refunds but worth it, to me, for the peace of mind.

viguera and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  9. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    In my wife's recent case, we're pretty sure she didn't use both credit cards at any of the reported vendors. She may have been phished a few days before the fraud was reported, however.

viguera likes this.
  10. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah last year I went through the whole song and dance of getting new cards with both Citi and BofA, and they never told me who was the supposed merchant that had reported a breach. I just went through it with BofA once again, in spite of all my efforts to virtualize the cards used for purchases, so I'm going to have to rethink my approach to actually buying stuff :)

11. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Barclay is issuing us new cards, but we can continue to use our current ones until they arrive and we activate.

12. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Consumer fraud protection being what it is I am not the least bit concerned about this hysteria, it is the card companies who are at risk. I'd prefer no to get b=new numbers, just more stuff to memorize for me.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Agreed for the most part (I only use credit cards, never debit). It is, however, a hassle if you have to change automatic payments or if the cards get replaced while you are traveling. Always important to have sufficient redundancy for the latter case.

boondr and LETTERBOY like this.
  14. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good points