AMEX Gold Delta Skymiles Card -- Upgrade vs. New Application

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by OnlyOne, Feb 20, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. OnlyOne

OnlyOne Silver Member

Status Points:
    I started thinking about my AMEX Gold Delta Skymiles card as the annual fee is coming up in June (and my United annual fee just hit). I have heard that AMEX is strict about their annual fees and rarely offer retention bonuses, but I like the card and the benefits it conveys for me, so with that in mind, I have a couple of questions and would like some advice from fellow milepointers:

1) In lieu of paying the annual fee on my Gold card, can I cancel it now and apply in 90 days (as an example) for the Platinum Delta card and get the signup bonus for that? Or would I be denied the bonus for having had the Gold card recently but still be approved for the Platinum card?

2) If I'm unlikely to get the signup bonus for a Platinum card, would I be better served by taking AMEX's published offer for 5,000 miles and upgrading my current Gold card to the Platinum card? Would upgrading result in an inquiry on my credit report?

Any guidance on this would be much appreciated.

2. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Amex lately has been including terms in their signup offers that say something like: you cannot get the bonus if you have had this product within the last 12 months or if you have had another card of the same category within the last 90 days.
    So if you have the gold now, you cannot get the gold signup bonus for 12 months and cannot get a platinum or reserve bonus for 90 days after you cancel your current card. This is a general observation, so you should make sure to check the T&C for any offer you want to get.

3. OnlyOne

OnlyOne Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have seen those terms as well. I'm sure the Platinum card is the same category (right?), but is it the same product because they're both the Skymiles AMEX or are they considered different products since one is Gold and the other Platinum?

4. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    With the Membership Rewards cards, the terms explicitly distinguish between Gold and Platinum... You cannot get the signup bonus for an Amex PRG card for 12 months after the last time you had an Amex Gold (MR-earning) or 90 days after having a Green, Gold or Platinum MR-earning card.

5. OnlyOne

OnlyOne Silver Member

Status Points:
    I understand that to mean I couldn't get the signup bonus again for the Gold Delta card for the next 12 months after closing it, but that I'd only have to wait (again, theoretically) 90 days before I could get a signup bonus for the Platinum Delta card. Have you tried this before with these cards? Anyone? Bueller?

6. OnlyOne

OnlyOne Silver Member

Status Points:
    No one at all has any experience at all with this?

7. pilotb757

pilotb757 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Upgrading will not result in a hard inquiry, I took several offers of upgrade in the past, no inquiry. As whether to upgrade or not , i think it is up to what benefits you.

8. OnlyOne

OnlyOne Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, AMEX's upgrade offer is only 5,000 miles. I'd much prefer to close the current Gold Skymiles AMEX and reapply for the Platinum if it was possible to get the signup bonus for it. That would definitely make it worth it, but I can't seem to find when I would be able or IF I'm even eligible for another signup bonus on the Platinum card since it's a different card.