Amex Gold 50,000 points with fees waived for 2 years!

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Jaguar, May 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Jaguar
    Original Member

Jaguar Silver Member

Status Points:
    Update 2: Please read this post for details about how I managed to get Amex to change my application to 75K points with 1 year fee waiver...

Update: There are reports that this offer was restricted to Columbia Biz School students only, so please understand that you might not get the 50K points. This might require a few calls to set right, and that too isn't guaranteed...

There is a new link for Amex gold with 50K points and annual fees waived for 2 years! Wife and I got instant approvals.

Here is the link -> Amex Gold 50K Points

Terms of the offer:
    Receive 50,000 Membership Rewards bonus points when you spend $500 within the first three months of Card membership

2. chemist562
    Original Member

chemist562 In Memorian

Status Points:
    They said not included for "current" charge card holders. Nothing in the language about first time card holders. ;)

miles and smiles likes this.
  3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    My wife was fortunately targeted for this card with 75k signup bonus. :)

4. Jaguar
    Original Member

Jaguar Silver Member

Status Points:
    wow - that's a nice deal. Did they offer a fee waiver for 2 years? I am thinking of calling Amex after receiving the card and asking for the extra 25K.

5. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not having to pay the fee for two years is a wonderful extra. My fee comes up later this month, and it would be great to get an extra year free (to say nothing about 50,000 points). :)

6. jwsky
    Original Member

jwsky Silver Member

Status Points:
    tell us if you do. I just signed up for it.

7. toddreg
    Original Member

toddreg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anyone who has recently signed up might try calling and inquring about promotion code 5985. This offer (which was allegedly targeted) requires $1000 spend for 75k points. This is a 25000 bump over the initial offer being discussed here.

jwsky likes this.
  8. jwsky
    Original Member

jwsky Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for that info toddreg.
    If I try this, should I claim to have recieved the targeted offer, or just say I have become aware of it?

9. toddreg
    Original Member

toddreg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Honesty is always the best policy, they will know if you received or not probably anyway. Just ask for it per the code offer. Please report back.

10. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    So The Points Guy reports that this was targeted to Columbia Biz School grads with appropriate email addresses. Does Amex have a history of enforcing those types of rules?

11. Jaguar
    Original Member

Jaguar Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have been reading similar reports that this offer was restricted to Columbia Biz School grads. I had no clue about it, because the page doesn't mention anything about this requirement! I hope Amex honors this deal to all the folks who have signed up. I for one will be calling them to discuss this. This is our first Gold card and we hope Amex doesn't screw us over.

I will update the OP to reflect the new concern.

12. xp0
    Original Member

xp0 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife got instant approval and I am waiting approval ... Once I get the information in the mail I will call to make sure we will get that offer.

13. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, after re-reading the terms, and reconciling that with the fact that this link is now pretty much everywhere, and that Amex could have put a stop to non-Columbia Biz School grads if they wanted to, I can only assume that they're OK with all of our business.

14. 1. Does anyone know how long this offer is good for? I planned to apply around May 23 (when my balance on cards will be lower, so that I have a higher chance of getting the card)

2. Did anyone NOT from Columbia manage to get the miles? Did you have to phone in to get it?

15. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Many people not from Columbia Univ. have reported getting the card (on the FT thread). Offer is much too young for anyone to get miles yet. I doubt anyone has even received their card yet. I've seen nothing about expiration, so it's up to AMEX's discretion, I would guess.

16. Lighthouse
    Original Member

Lighthouse Gold Member

Status Points:
    I applied using the link for my sister and while she was quickly approved ---their systems after the fact shifted her benefits automatically down to 10,000 miles and 1 year fee waived--- the most basic offer

17. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Where did you see evidence of the change?

18. Lighthouse
    Original Member

Lighthouse Gold Member

Status Points:
    Only after the credit card was officially approved -- the approval had the terms on it.

19. Ok, so I applied and was instantly approved. The email lacks any detail at all (except saying that the card will arrive in 7-10 business days). I'll post on how the bonus works out once I get the details in the mail.

PS: I'm considering calling them tomorrow (they're closed Sundays) and asking them if they can rush the card. I am debating whether this is a wise idea (I don't actually need the card quickly-- I just want to know if they handled the bonus properly). Any thoughts?

20. FlashBack
    Original Member

FlashBack Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone find it odd that there are no reports of denials? I have seen one report of someone with a FICO of 650 getting an instant approval.

ETA:
    Only Columbia 2011 and 2012 MBA students are eligible for this offer. American Express reserves the right to change or rescind the terms of this offer upon failure to successfully verify Columbia enrollment and valid student status.
    © 2011 American Express Company. All rights reserved.
    Visit americanexpress.com for full detail.

21. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Where'd you get the edit?

Here's my wife's approval:

22. FlashBack
    Original Member

FlashBack Silver Member

Status Points:
    From the offer page that takes you to the app page.

23. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fine, but the app page is directly linked now from tons of places on the internet. And the app page doesn't have a link back to the offer page.

Amex could make their site only show the app page if a link was followed from the offer page - but they didn't do that.

If that kind of reasoning worked (another page, not available, has pertinent info), every purchase or offer on the internet could be nullified with it.

24. FlashBack
    Original Member

FlashBack Silver Member

Status Points:
    You are 100% correct. Some CC companies in the past consider the direct link that is being used as a hacked link.

25. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for your interest in this offer. At this time this offer is no longer available.
    Please click here for our current offerings.

So the deal is dead. Is that a tacit admission that they screwed up? To me, yes.