Amex Gift Checks for Spend Requirement?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by jtcrew88, Mar 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Has anyone bought Amex Gift Checks to get their minimum spend? I got the Amex Plat 50,000MR Bonus, and am looking for alternatives to Mint Coins with less hassle. Shipping is $6, the fee is $2.50 per check.

So for $1000 in checks the cost would be $1031. Not a bad price considering the gas cost of hauling around $1000 in mint coins to banks all over town.

Does Amex count this as a purchase?

2. Astrophy
    Original Member

Astrophy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Could you not just do a Paypal transfer for 2.9% or an amazon payment for 0%?

3. How are you getting the 0% amazon payment.

That's what I see on Amazon.

4. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Ed Chandler Silver Member

Status Points:
    Having just taken receipt of $1000 in coin, it weighs less that 20 lbs. I don't think that's going to change your mileage much. ;-) However, more to your point, ... when I need another spend opportunity, I tend to turn to Wal-Mart gift cards. I buy pretty much EVERYTHING at Wal-Mart anyway, so I know it'll get spent.

5. jasher926

jasher926 Silver Member

Status Points:
    A cheaper fee option is squareup.com. They ship you a card reader for free to plug into your iphone or android phone and you can swipe your own transactions. A lot of food trucks use this card reader. It is a flat 2.75% of the transaction amount.

jtcrew88 and DeltaExpert like this.
  6. $475.50 ($450 yrly fee + 2.75%*$1000) for 76,500 miles (51k MR) and 25,000 MQM, Silver Medallion seems like a good bargain to me. :)

7. Nelumbo
    Original Member

Nelumbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stopped by an AMEX travel center the other day and the agent there told me AMEX gift checks are not eligible for earning miles/points.

lin821 and jtcrew88 like this.
  8. Thanks for answering the original question, couldn't find the answer on the AMEX website / google.

9. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not a big fan of Walmart, but I do the same thing with a CC. Then use the Walmart gift card to pay for fuel at Walmarts that have gas pumps, which, when using their gift cards, saves 3¢ per gallon. It also is good at Sam's Clubs. That full size Dodge Ram Pickup truck wants to be fed too.