Amex Gift Cards as gifts

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by jpruzins, Jul 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jpruzins
    Original Member

jpruzins Silver Member

Status Points:
    Free shipping on Amex gift cards expires on 7/16

<<Give Graduates the Gift of Choice with American Express Gift Cards - Free Shipping. Code AFLGRAD (Exp. 07/16/2011) >>

I have some weddings coming up. Is it tacky to give Amex gift cards as wedding presents?

Kalboz, JohnDeere19 and savydog like this.
  2. Million Mile Secrets

Million Mile Secrets Silver Member

Status Points:
    What's wrong with giving a gift which allows you to choose EXACTLY what you want? The couple will get much more utility out of it!

3. mrpickles
    Original Member

mrpickles Silver Member

Status Points:
    Order the gift cards through Big Crumbs and get an additional 1.6% cash back. Would appreciate if you use the link in my signature. You can use them for company bills also, not just for gifts.

Kalboz, JohnDeere19 and savydog like this.
  4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been giving SpaFinder gift certificates lately. Usually get 10% off face with discount codes I can find, and 10 miles per dollar most of the time.

5. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    These still have an activation fee.

JohnDeere19 and savydog like this.
  6. Million Mile Secrets

Status Points:
    In my experience you can get fee-free gift cards online for no fee, by just googling for a fee-free code. I don't know about SpaFinder, because I still have a stash which I'm working through!

Kalboz and JohnDeere19 like this.
  7. slice19
    Original Member

slice19 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got one as a wedding present and hated it. They have an activation fee for the user as well as a depriciation value when not used in a specified amount of time (this is not so bad). However, many merchants can't see the value on the card they only get a accept or decline on apurchase so you really need to keep track of it and you will ultimately lose some money at the end unless you have the exact amount. For example, you have a $100 card you buy something for 29.99, then something for 49.28 and then go to another store and spend 72.49 (more than the remaining value of your card). Then the merchant at the last store asks you how much is on the card and you guess $15 which is accepted. You have close to $5 left on the card but maybe you only think it is $2 and tell that to the next merchant who once again tells you it was accepted and you are left wondering where you miscalculated and guessing the remaining value. Basically it's only good if you spend it all at onceo n the first shot and event hen the activation fee still hits the redeemer. I'd much rather have cash as a wedding present.

8. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would have loved the Amex gift cards as a wedding gift, since I can get pretty much whatever I want, but as slice19 points out, everyone feels differently. I don't think it's tacky at all.

Mike

Kalboz, SC Flier and JohnDeere19 like this.
  9. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    On slice19's point - the terms on the pre-paid AmEx cards are much better under the CARD Act, with mine expiring in 2019. And I tend to use my cards once or twice in stores, then apply the residual balances to pay off my T-Mobile bill (no interaction with humans).

10. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've paid no upfront, shipping or account fees on SpaFinder for PDF gift certificates.

11. Million Mile Secrets

Status Points:
    Maybe the CARD Act explains why I've never paid activation fees on my pre-paid AM Ex cards. You can always check your balance on-line to find out the amount left on the card.

12. travelinmike33
    Original Member

travelinmike33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I never thought about the CARD Act with relation to prepaid cards. I would definitely agree that the current prepaid cards are much better than my experiences with cards (both AMEX and Visa) in the past.

13. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    In many cases, they're actually good beyond that date. They have an expiration date on the card so that merchants can accept them, but if you don't use them by that date, you might can still get the remaining balanced reissued on a new card for no extra cost. Check the T&Cs to know for sure.

I've had a problem with some online sites not being set up to accept an expiration date of 2019 or 2020.

I find that many grocery stores are a good way to spend the remaining balance of gift cards and rebate cards. They tend to handle looking up the remaining balance without a problem.

lin821 likes this.
  14. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's easy for most retail gift cards, but I've never found fee-free Amex gift cards. Many of the ads lead people to believe that they are fee-free by advertising free shipping, but that doesn't eliminate the activation fee. Can someone point us to an offer for fee-free Amex GCs with free shipping?

15. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am not floating anyone cash (or cash-equivalent) for eight years, so this one is moot.

SC Flier likes this.
  16. Andyandy
    Original Member

Andyandy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just FYI, for anyone looking for a way to use leftover cards. I used a leftover $50 card to fund a Kiva loan. Why not join the Milepoint Kiva team?

17. danny
    Original Member

danny Silver Member

Status Points:
    A check with the equivalent amount is far more useful to a newly married couple.

Kalboz likes this.
  18. Daryl Figge

Daryl Figge Active Member

Status Points:
    I have in the past used left over giftcards amounts to pay on the cable and telephone bills. AT&T for example has a minimum payment amount of $1, easy way to empty small amounts left on an Amex, visa or mc card.

Kalboz likes this.