AMEX First Bag Free Oddity

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by TheSuss, Feb 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. This seems to be a new thing, but I thought I'd mention it here. Apparently, the "First Bag Free" only applies to the account holder, not to card holders, unless they are traveling together.

I discovered this last week when I was flying with my wife. We were not ticketed together (her ticket was booked using FlexPerks points) but we were on the same flights. Even though we both have Delta Amex cards with our names on them, OLCI and kiosks wanted to charge her to check a bag. A gate agent was able to take her bag, without a charge - but also explained that she was only waiving the charge because I was on the same flight. The gate agent advised her to apply for a card associated with her FF account if she wanted to avoid checked bag fees in the future.

I'm fairly certain she has checked bags before, without having to pay, so this appears to be a new change.

Of course, I could be wrong...

2. RSSrsvp
    Original Member

RSSrsvp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did you check the AMEX site for the T&C on this card yet?

3. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    from the DL and Amex site:

Gold, Plat and DL Reserve: First Bag Free: Get a free checked bag for up to nine people in your reservation. Benefit is limited to Basic Cardmembers (not Additional Cardmembers) with the Gold, Platinum or Reserve Delta SkyMiles [Business] Credit Cards. Reservation must include the Basic Cardmember's SkyMiles number. Fee waiver also available for passengers traveling in the same reservation as the Basic Cardmember.

4. RSSrsvp
    Original Member

RSSrsvp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Based on what you have posted the bottom line is that the card holder must be on the reservation for others to receive this bag fee waiver benefit. If in the past you had an additional cardholder traveling without you have the bag fee waived for the 1st bag then it was an error on the part of the agent.

Gargoyle and DiverDave like this.
  5. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    exactly. errors happen and one can come to think of it as the norm when it is not. i have had agents shuffle bag fees around when i have split PNRs or i am traveling with someone who is not medallion or a card holder. i suppose they really shouldn't do that but it is a nice gesture.

personally i think bag fees are ridiculous. especially when i could very easily just have a carryon bag and a backpack to haul my stuff in...but i am lazy and don't like dragging it along on connection flights. LOL

6. RSSrsvp
    Original Member

RSSrsvp Silver Member

Status Points:
    These ridiculous baggage fees are driving potential customers that would fly on DL over to B6! [​IMG]

Gargoyle likes this.