AmEx Delta Reserve MQM signup bonus question

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by commander flatus, Nov 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. commander flatus

commander flatus Active Member

Status Points:
    OK, so I'm at 25,500 for the year, at Silver and I just signed up for the Delta Reserve card. I'm hoping to use the 10k MQM signup bonus to reach Silver again next year as I don't have much more travel planned this year to reach Gold, and I likely wouldn't reach Silver again without those miles.

I thought I read on the signup page for the Reserve card that the 10k MQM's do not roll over to the next year like "regular" MQM's.

Does anyone know whether or not they do?

Flatulently,

2. jrp2

jrp2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can't say what is policy, but I have the Reserve card and got MQMs from it. From what I can tell, they are just regular MQMs and get treated as such. My extra MQMs from last year rolled over without a problem. I'm not sure the Delta system can (or does) make a determination between regular MQMs and MQMs gotten via the Reserve card. I'm not sure if others have experience different.

3. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    MQM=MQM

rwoman and jrp2 like this.
  4. jrp2

jrp2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to milepoint, commander flatus!

rwoman and commander flatus like this.
  5. commander flatus

Status Points:
    Thanks, I see that they're now offering 25k "regular" miles plus 10k MQM with first charge, so I'll probably call them and try to finagle getting those 25k also.

Thanks for the welcome. I like it here. Was always a lurker at FT.

alohastephen and rwoman like this.
  6. JennB
    Original Member

JennB Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd be interested in knowing this too. I had not heard of this possibility before and was thinking of getting the reserve card. I can easily get the bonus every year with my business spend on the card so it would be worth the cost.

rwoman likes this.
  7. commander flatus

Status Points:
    The MQMs are worth it if you can cover the spend - it gets you Silver Medallion by itself.

rwoman likes this.
  8. samonyc
    Original Member

samonyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Last year I got a MQM spend bonus with my AmEx Delta Platinum, and all of those rolled over.

rwoman likes this.
  9. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    MQMs are fungible....you can't really say which rolled, and which didn't.

Against that, I had a 15k DL Reserve MQM bonus last year AND a 25k MQM Amex MR transfer bonus last year...and rolled 48k MQMs into 2011. Were the MQMs that rolled the same? Who knows! But, I got the full rollover due....so it really doesn't matter.

rwoman likes this.
  10. Deltalina
    Original Member

Deltalina Silver Member

Status Points:
    MQM are MQM. 80k from AMEX this year and rolled 95k last year (or was it 90)... No debit from my final MQM # and my rollover amount other than the 125k for DM

rwoman likes this.
  11. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    commander flatus,

Welcome to MP!

:)

12. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe the MQMs are credited in the year earned, so that you cannot delay applying them until the next year in order to not hit the next tier and instead roll over a large number of MQMs, but once applied they roll over like any others.

FrequentMiler likes this.
  13. zshanlon

zshanlon Silver Member

Status Points:
    mattsteg, do I understand what you are saying to mean that they delta reserve MQMs are credited in the year you spend to earn them or in the year that they appear in your skymiles account?

I just applied for the delta reserve amex and they have a 10K MQM bonus after first purchase but I hear it could take a couple of weeks to appear. Im worried they wont show up until 2012 and I need them now. Thoughts?

14. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think they try to apply bonuses in the year you apply, but it's probably best to call amex/delta and also poke around and see if you can find what happened to others last year. My comment was specifically regarding the miles boosts which you can earn but not apply (you can choose where they go, so they don't hit your skymiles account automatically). I believe Delta won't let you hoard these and then apply them to your account in the new year as a mechanism to roll over a greater number of miles rather than achieving a higher status.

15. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    My understanding is that, providing your purchase is posted to your card in 2011, you would get MQMs for 2011, even if you select the account recipient in 2012. They can post the MQMs in a way that the miles are counted for 2011 and this normally happens in time for the big mailing of new elite packets in late February.

16. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP! Also, per DL's offer, you can buy mqms currently. Depending how many you need, that might be a good way to go.