Amex Degrading their Image

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by schnitzel, Jun 14, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe I'm alone on this one, but I really feel that for all American Express wants to be (high-end, home of big spenders, Centurion card aspirants, etc.) that they really are trying to peddle schlock.

I get offers for "free" garbage like calendars all the time - all I have to do is to pay shipping and handling! It's garbage all the way.

Today, I got an offer to join some club, with the promise of two $100 restaurant certificates. Of course, these aren't really generic "restaurant" certificates - they're Restaurant.com certificates, which often cost about $10 each - or even less through an affiliate. If I had to guess, I'd say Amex pays nothing for them - they just help get some traffic to Restaurant.com's website. Oh - and should I cancel this membership to this club that they're hawking, I still get to keep the certificates free! Please.

Am I alone in thinking that a company that shoots as high-end as possible is making a mistake with this nonsense?

amex1.png

amex2.png

Keep for your records? Really? And that cheesy metallic label I need to affix to my acceptance certificate? It's like Publishers Clearing House circa 1984.

This is a company that can partner with SPG, Cathay Pacific, Singapore Airlines, Fine Hotels and Resorts, Mercedes Benz, etc. They also want to be in bed with Restaurant.com?

2. lightangel

lightangel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought those were sign up bonus for skyguide or T+L clubs... I don't know what amex get out of this, but would rather they do it electronically and save a few trees.

3. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    i've been getting these for about 6 months, now. it's up there with the likes of local car dealerships sending you those fake keys.

4. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't forget they are also in bed with Delta.

5. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly - so Amex is, in my mind, in a category with car dealers and the other direct-marketing times who still promise good deals by trying to mislead with snail mail.

6. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah - I was conveniently leaving that out, actually. Or trying. I didn't know which category they really fit into.

DCtrAAveler and perryplatypus like this.
  7. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    AmEx Publishing was peddling that kind of stuff as far back as I can remember, i.e. decades. They must know their market. The "big spenders" I've come across were often a pretty crude and tasteless bunch.

8. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    which two travel groups are they involved with the most?

Delta and Hilton

which two travel groups have had some of the largest point devaluations the past few years?

:eek:

DCtrAAveler and perryplatypus like this.
  9. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure I can make the tenious connection to the original post .. but then we all know your thoughts regarding Hilton:)
    Lets see now there is the SPG Amex and the SPG Business Amex.. hmmm

DCtrAAveler and mattsteg like this.
  10. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Plus Spg gold with Amex plat.

DCtrAAveler and schnitzel like this.
  11. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess ShopRunner really falls into the same "dreck" category. I posted about that over here:

ShopRunner Pay it Forward

(Sorry to go Yiddish twice in one thread, but I think both schlock and dreck apply to these offers.)

garyst16 and DCtrAAveler like this.
  12. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    forgot about SPG, even tho i own it.

and i don't have a problem with Hilton, unless it's the Hilton Knoxville

DCtrAAveler likes this.
  13. Dreamworks

Dreamworks Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd like them to stop sending me Departures magazine. I bet my postal carrier's back will thank me.

14. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't mind the magazine. I immediately recycle the rest of it.

It would be nice to have some kind of opt out or e-Delivery option.

DCtrAAveler likes this.
  15. FSolop

FSolop Member

Status Points:
    I've been having my own surprises with AmEx. I just got the
    a Citi Amex card and am working on meeting the spend requirements.
    Lo and behold, I keep finding restaurants and shops that refuse to
    take Amex. I had a conversation with one restaurant owner who said
    Amex charges store owners a higher rate for use than Visa and Mastercard.
    Apparently many people are refusing to pay these higher rates.

DCtrAAveler likes this.
  16. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    No question that Amex charges merchants more than the average Visa/MC. Except in certain cases like the Costco deal.

Amex wants to offer a premium product at a premium price, and then sully it with these ridiculous offers.

DCtrAAveler likes this.
  17. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your postal carrier will thank you for any business you can direct their way. We all need to keep USPS alive. Otherwise, when we need to mail someone a piece of paper, it won't be 45 cents anymore, but more like $15 (a private courier fee).

18. TennisPro
    Original Member

TennisPro Silver Member

Status Points:
    Speaking of dreck and schlock, I keep getting offers for term life insurance from Amex Publishing. I opened the first one, because it was from Amex. Now I am wiser, and know that just because something is from Amex, it still might be dreck.

schnitzel and DCtrAAveler like this.
  19. perryplatypus

perryplatypus Gold Member

Status Points:
    And wait there's more... Just pay shipping and processing and we'll double the offer the free :)

DCtrAAveler likes this.
  20. amazzajr

amazzajr Active Member

Status Points:
    Next up: Amex & Oxi-Clean

DCtrAAveler likes this.
  21. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Amex degraded their image when they offered and gave me the original green card while I was in college ;)

LETTERBOY, DCtrAAveler and Menashe like this.
  22. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know about that one - that's like Apple trying to get in to the soon-to-be-educated while they're still impressionable. Amex knows a college grad is likely to spend more and earn more. (And, by the way, if that was back when they were doing the Northwest tickets for $99 with an account, I did it also, and it was an amazing deal.)

23. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    They had some sort of Continental discounted ticket offer. I used it a few times.

As for the rest... I was kidding, it was obviously very wise to give me a card. :)

24. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    :D

TennisPro and schnitzel like this.
  25. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have been an amex cardholder for over thirty years now, presently a Centurion, Starwood, Gold Business, platinum Delta and Hilton amex cardholer. I receive free gift cards worth $500 or more every year from them, sometimes several. I receive invitations to exclusive parties and premieres every year from them. They have sent me free digital cameras and other gifts. I also receive invitations to some of the garbage that you have mentioned. While I agree that some of the things sent out are not of the highest caliber, I don't think it degrades the companies image, as we each have different tastes, and cheesy garbage to one person might be sheer delight to another. I will say that the service I receive from them is fantastic, and of all the credit card companies that I deal with, they go to bat for their cardholders much more than the others when disputes are involved. Years ago when we purchased a crystal chandelier in Prague, we did not receive what we were promised upon delivery. Amex refunded us almost $2,000 to compensate for the difference in what we were promised and what we received. That alone guaranteed that I will be a cardholder for life.