Amex Credit Line Increase

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by amazzajr, Jun 18, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. amazzajr

amazzajr Active Member

Status Points:
    Can this be done automated over the phone? If so, how? Sorry this post isnt about MR, but I figured you guys would know....

2. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is there a reason you can't talk to a person? If an automated system says "no" you're screwed. If a person says "no" you can ask why and try to come to a compromise like shifting credit lines or accepting a smaller increase.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  3. snugglening

snugglening Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would call and haggle but most liekly they will pull your credit check.

4. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Everytime I've tried to increase my credit line on Amex its through an automated phone system (call number on back of credit card). You enter what total credit line you want (regardless of your current credit line), and sometimes it'll ask you for your current income. Then they do a soft pull (i see it when I pull my credit report; but its not listed as a hard pull) and let you know pretty quick either yes or no.

I once accidentaly put in one extra digit (100,000 instead of 10,000) and got an instant denial. When I called in to tell them it was a mistake; they said they can only evaluate credit line increase every 60days (or was it 90??) and told me to retry in xx days w/10,000 and it should be no problem.

5. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know about over the phone but you can request a line increase on their website, if you have established your profile there. Log on, then go to "Profile and Preferences," then "Other Options," then "Manage Credit Limit."

ChrisUNC and amazzajr like this.
  6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have not requested a line of credit increase but I have gotten one without asking based on my pattern of spending. They figured on their own that my original line credit of credit on my Hilton Honors AMEX was too small for my pattern of spending so they automatically doubled it, without my asking...;)

7. amazzajr

amazzajr Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks all, appreciate the feedback.

8. amazzajr

amazzajr Active Member

Status Points:
    No, no reason I can't talk to a person, I was just curious.

9. amazzajr

amazzajr Active Member

Status Points:
    Very nice!

10. ChrisUNC

ChrisUNC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Online is definitely the easiest way to do this - highly recommend.