Amex Corporate Centurion (Black) Card

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by davythefatboy, Nov 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. davythefatboy

davythefatboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Got a fancy invite for an Amex Centurion card on our corporate account. Pretty stiff fee of $4000, not clear what the benefits are. Anyone in this program? I know there are plenty of Amex Black card holders here, but I'm specifically asking about the Corporate Card program, which probably has somewhat different benefits.

Thanks

Jimgotkp and JohnDeere19 like this.
  2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    A few friends of mine at Deutsche have the Corp black card. It seems quite similar to the personal card.

GoodBoy and jbcarioca like this.
  3. Gabed1

Gabed1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have it. Not sure the benefits are worth $4000 though. The platinum card is a better value.

4. davythefatboy

davythefatboy Silver Member

Status Points:

The renewal came around and I let my corporate card go back to green, keeping my personal platinum card. When I was solicited over the phone for the Centurion there was mention of special one of a kind events (such as a "recent" dinner with Bill Clinton at no charge). Once I had the card, I was offered absolutely nothing above and beyond at all - strictly the printed benefits (mostly airline and hotel status), which didn't equate to $4K per year for me. "My" concierge introduced herself once, but nothing more. Centurion travel service managed to stall a simple reservation so I missed a 30% points bonus, seemed identical to Platinum Travel Service - commission based call center reps with no special knowledge applicable to my travel style. I'm a points junkie who travels very well on miles and has large spend for business merchandise - this card seems to be aimed at folks with large T&E and gift spend and who pay cash for top end travel.

jbcarioca and travelinmike33 like this.
  5. Mike_K

Mike_K Member

Status Points:
    I think I'd go Chase Palladium over Amex Centurion. The platinum card has almost all of the Centurion benefits minus a few minor details like not getting same concierge every time you call in. At 10% of the price of Centurion, Platinum gives you something like 90% of the benefits at 10% of the cost.

It's pretty easy to get $450 in benefits out of the platinum card every year though.

6. dvd

dvd Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you have to be invited for the card or can you apply?

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. Gabed1

Gabed1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    invite only

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Centurian card is supposedly on $2400 annual fee.

I called today but AMEX refused to give any comments about the card.

AMEX is not worthy of a $250,000 bank account..........so I told them to go fly a kite!!!

9. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have the personal Black card and the benefits have really evaporated over the years as the annual fee has escalated. Hard to believe but back in the day, the card got me Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond and Continental Gold. Those were really what made the investment worth it but all are gone - Continental/United gone completely and the others downgraded.

Even the special events and gift cards seem to have disappeared. The only thing that keeps people like me around is that while I met the then limit of $150,000 (and with no initiation fee), I can't meet the reported $250,000 annual spend and live in hope that benefits will get better in the year(s) ahead. But I often feel that this makes me an idiot!

But to compare to the other cards you need to understand that you still get Delta and US Air Platinum and if that fits your travel pattern, it can be a good deal.