Amex changing churn rules?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by cheryld, Sep 10, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. cheryld
    Original Member

cheryld Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know there have been some recent changes to the ability to churn Citi cards. Thought I would add my recent experience with Amex. I have never had any problems getting multiple cards in the past.
    DH opened 2 Delta Amex cards on 6/27. On 9/2 'he' applied for the SPG Personal card(we had closed his over 18 months ago).

His application was initially cancelled as a duplicate. He called and they agreed that it wasn't (!) and put it through again.

After further consideration, they still cancelled the application. He called and was told only one application in a 90 day period. They were quite adamant about this. He was welcome to reapply on 9/27. Of course, the SPG offer is dead now. -(

2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep the current 50K Amex Delta offer quite clearly states as much right on the offer opening page ... plus its (now) a one year waiting period for the Business cards.

Cannot say I am too surprised at the new tightening of rules.:)

LETTERBOY likes this.
  3. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    SPG should have another good offer toward Thanksgiving, so just hang in there and keep your eye out.

MX likes this.
  4. cheryld
    Original Member

cheryld Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! Will do.

5. moongoddess

moongoddess Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just hope the next SPG offer is open to current AmEx members, as this last one wasn't. I've never had that card with AmEx; in fact, I've never received any bonus points of any sort from AmEx (I've had my Green Card since 1987, when the whole points thing was just getting started - no signup bonus back then!). But that didn't matter; when I tried to sign up for the card, AmEx identified me as a current card holder and said the 30,000 points offer was invalid. What a bummer! You'd think they could tell from my history with them that I'm not likely to be a card churner, and the bonus would be a one-time deal. If another offer comes up at Thanksgiving, maybe I'll have more luck if I call them rather than just relying on a webpage link.

6. othermike27

othermike27 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Something isn't right here. I just opened an SPG, which now shows on my AMEX homepage along with my 2 other cards (Costco & Hilton/Surpass). I already got credit for the 10K signup bonus. Since I just hit the card with a big charge, the signup spend will be satisfied in the next billing cycle, so I'll see whether I get the other 20K SPG points. But I did get the first chunk with 2 exisiting AMEX cards.

I saw at least two, maybe three different statements - possibly conflicting, but confusing for sure - about who was eligible for this latest 30K deal, and finally said the heck with it - I'll just apply and see what happens. So far, so good.

flyforawg likes this.
  7. moongoddess

Status Points:
    othermike27, I suspect you'll only get 15,000 points on the next billing cycle. 25,000 points isn't bad - but it's just the standard signup offer, it's nothing special.

I did read on FlyerTalk that some folks with current AmEx cards were able to sign up for the special 30,000 points promotion by using various browser tricks which prevented the signup page from identifying them as current cardholders. But when I did the standard 'click on the link' method and followed the directions, I reached a page which clearly stated that as a current AmEx card holder I was ineligible for the special 30,000 point sign up bonus - it was intended only for completely new customers. Which sucks. I want those extra 5000 points!

8. othermike27

Status Points:
    Yes, I expected to reach the same kind of page. I used my regular machine & browser, didn't clear cookies, etc. In short, did nothing to disguise the fact that I was a current customer. But I got no tsk, tsk! messages. The various statements I mentioned said that current AMEX customers were not eligible for the 10K first use bonus, in addition to being ineligible for any of the 20K points for minimum spend. I saw this wording in footnotes on the offer page I followed. I swear I'm not making this up! Well, I don't think I am anyway...gets confusing after awhile when chasing a bunch of different threads. I want all 20K points too!

9. moongoddess

Status Points:
    I agree, very confusing, with people apparently seeing different messages at different times. As I recall, the page I reached said I was eligible for 10K for first card use, but nothing more (but I could easily be misremembering). I wonder if different messages were being targeted to different current AmEx customers based on some obscure factor currently known only to AmEx?

Do let us know how many points you get in the end! (And I hope it adds up to the full 30K!)

10. othermike27

Status Points:
    Bingo!! Full 30K bonus awarded.

Only thing missing in the summary below is a single large item that put me over the top on the $5K spend requirement. The 473 points is the sum of points from 7-8 smaller transactions. The cc account shows the big transaction posted on 9/12, so I guess it will show up with the next aggregate. Pleased to see that the two bonus point entries appeared so quickly.

11. othermike27

Status Points:
    Edit - Oops, the table I pasted in from the SPG site didn't appear. So, here's a summary:
    1. 15 Aug - card opened, 2 free nights noted
    2. 19 Aug - 10,000 point signup bonus credited
    3. 12 Sep - 473 points for some small transactions
    4. 16 Sep - 20,000 point minimum spend bonus credited as a result of a large (~$6K) single purchase that posted on 12 Sep, apparently too late for the cutoff on points shown in item 3 above