AMEX cards

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by TravelBear, Jun 25, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am considering applying for the SPG AMEX and one other card, either the DLReserve or Platinum DL. Of course I would like the Reserve for the higher MQMs but I know I would only be getting the 10k initial offer. My concern is the annual fee. How do I avoid it? Is this where "churning" would come into play or some other strategy?

Also, my credit score is in the excellent range. I know most of you apply for multiple cards(>3) at once but I am just not ready to apply for more than 2-3. So is there a third anyone could suggest. I do have the Chase Sapphire (over a year) and a USAir MC (over a year).

2. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Be careful applying for 2 American Express products at once ... I tend to keep it at one app/bank at a time. I haven't applied for the SPG AMEX yet but I'm saving it for when the bonus is a bit higher, especially since the spend threshold is kind of high.

The Reserve is $450 per year and the Plat is $150 per year. I don't know what the signup bonuses are right now, but the only way to avoid the annual fee for the first year is to sign up for a bonus that waives the fee.

I signed up for the Plat last year and got a $100 statement credit after a Delta purchase. I bought a $2 snack on a DL flight and got the $100 credit, making my annual fee for the first year $50. I'm in the process of getting the 10K MQMs from the $25K spending threshold (won't hit $50K to get the next 10K MQMs). The Reserve offers 15K at $30K and another 15K at $60K, and while that extra spend is doable, you do get the extra fee ... it comes with Sky Club access and acts as a tiebreaker for the upgrade list.

To avoid the annual fee the second year, you'd have to cancel or downgrade the card. AMEX prorates annual fees, so I'm keeping my Plat until I see the 10K MQMs posted + until I use the companion certificate.

3. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can't edit my first post ... so second ...

As for the other card(s) to apply for, what kind of spending can you put on the card? Keep in mind that for the DL Plat/Reserve, you have to hit the $25K/$30K MQM thresholds per calendar year, which means that you'd have to hit that before December 31. We're about halfway through the year now, so that's a bit of a disadvantage. It's better to apply for these cards later in the year, to give time to hit those thresholds while reducing the annual fee exposure.

4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here's my take on the Reserve Card. If you will get a lot of value out of the lounge access and/or the First Class (or economy) companion ticket, it is an easy decision to get the card.

Whilst I already get lounge access by virtue of my Amex Platinum card, the 2-for-1 first class voucher more than pays for the card and the MQM kicker keeps me one status level higher on DL than I'd otherwise be.

http://www.sitinfirst.com/2011/10/amex-delta-reserve-card-just-right-for-certain-customers/

tondoleo and daemon14 like this.
  5. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very nice analysis and explanation of how the card is of great value to you. I may have to read more of your posts.:)

NYBanker likes this.
  6. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! Click on some ads there while you're at it! ;)

7. booyaa
    Original Member

booyaa Silver Member

Status Points:
    If the MQMs is the deciding factor between Plat and Reserve, MillionMileSecret has a link that offers 35k RDM + 10k MQM after $2k spend for the PLAT. The link is not his referral link, which is probably why not many people know about it as no other blog I know of has it too. I applied for the business version in April and got everything that was due.

8. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unfortuately, the business card app doesn't work. I have the personal AMEX Plat and am working on $25K spending for 10K MQMs since I'll likely be short by about 7-8K this year for GM (too much award travel this year, I tells ya).

9. booyaa
    Original Member

booyaa Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well thats unfortunate. Sorry I did not realize that.

I canceled my personal Delta Plat and applied for the Biz one in April to get 10k MQM, now $5k spend shy from another 10k MQM!