Amex Canadian - questions from a newbie

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by DebraI, May 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DebraI
    Original Member

DebraI Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm new to MR points, and I'm finding it to be a little confusing when it comes to point exchanges and transfers to different programs. When I surf around in the Canadian MR site, the exhange ratios are really different with various hotel/airline programs compared to the ratios on the US MR site. Is there a way to apply the same bonuses as the US card for exchanges (like a 50% bonus with Delta as an example). Or for Prioirty Club points, it's an exchange rate of 1000 MR = 800 PC in Canada, but 1000 MR = 1000 PC on the US amex site.

If it makes a difference, I have the gold amex to get the 2x points for groceries, etc. I have seen some people interested in the card for the same reason... but if the MR exchange rates are not as lucrative, mabye some people will think twice and choose a different card.

Any Canadian amex members out there that can explain the difference? Insight into how to use MR points on Canadian cards would be great!

Deb

2. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that every partner will in fact have their own rules for ratios for redemption. I do not it is as simple as one fits all.

For me, I know which programs I want to transfer into and that is about it.

Not much help for you but that is my view anyway.

DebraI likes this.
  3. DebraI
    Original Member

DebraI Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the response. You confirmed that it is different... so at least I'm not crazy. Heh. It makes it much more difficult to figure out what deals apply to you the way it's set up on the Canadian site.

4. southender
    Original Member

southender Silver Member

Status Points:
    It KILLS me that we 'nucks cannot access some of the benefits of the US cards- the recent US only DL MQM deal still burns. While the redemption rates aren't as lucrative as the US ones, I like the flexibility to put the MR points where I want.

5. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well I do not know you so cannot confirm the underlined above ! :D The site is not easy - that I concur with.

Agree on this point.

DebraI likes this.