AMEX buy 1 get 1 airfatr

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by TRYING2BPLAT, Feb 4, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. TRYING2BPLAT

TRYING2BPLAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    Has any1 use the bogo airfare as amex benefit? Is the price reasonable? Thinking of applying for the cc for this benefit,

deant likes this.
  2. Jeff the Wanderer

Jeff the Wanderer Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you are talking about the international program through the platinum card, I got a quote through it once and the rate was way high. Actually would have been less expensive for me to buy 2 business class tickets on my own than it would have been to do the BOGO through their program. I am not sure if this is always the case, but I'm sure you will not be paying the lowest rate you can buy publicly.

traveltoomuch and deant like this.
  3. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I think the Amex BOGO is the same type of deal that some of the hotels used to give out. Very rarely is it too good of a deal. As Jeff said, most of the time, you can get a better deal just buying two tickets.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The program works, in general, by allowing you to purchase one full-fare ticket and then get a second for free. If you are in a position where the discount tickets are available and they work for your travel schedule then that is nearly always a better deal. If you don't have the advance purchase, minimum stay or other requirements of the discounted tickets then the IAP can be useful.

Basically, if you regularly pay full fare anyways then consider it as possibly useful. If full fare isn't your thing then forget it.

jmrich1432, deant and traveltoomuch like this.
  5. TRYING2BPLAT

TRYING2BPLAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for everyone reply I always thought there will be a catch somewhere, I thought you can get biz class at 6grand to asia for two since thats Cathay R/t price to asia but I guess it wont that price.

deant likes this.
  6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I suspect some use it for spouse travel when any business fare can be reimbursed (or is tax deductable) but not two tickets.

7. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    That would make perfect sense.

deant likes this.
  8. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    As others have said, the economics rarely work out very well. On the other hand, I have used this several times on LH and once on NZ. LH tickets book into D, and often there was a lower fare in the market. Plus the AmEx agency charges some nasty fees. ex-US, the 2-for-1 is typically only available on the foreign carrier's metal -- you may need to buy 2 domestic tickets to connect to the international long-haul. And sometimes there's no 2-for-1 at the destination, either: I'm pretty sure that NZ would only sell 2-for-1 to AKL; 2 paid tickets were needed to go further in-country.

The surprising win was that both tickets typically earned miles (when credited to UA), including EQM bonuses for fare class, if otherwise applicable. That's not what the rules say should happen, but I think it happened every time.

deant likes this.
  9. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    They've definitely made some progress on improving this program. The base fare isn't always the highest published fare any more. Further, even if the cost were the same (via Amex, or via discounted fares bought from the carrier), many of the discounted fares will include significant penalties for change. The Amex fares are fully refundable under the program. That unto itself is very valuable if you think your plans may change.

They also have an undocumented program....the single traveller benefit. I detailed this...and some other aspects of the bogo program in a blog post last year.

http://www.sitinfirst.com/2011/09/undocumented-amex-platinum-benefit-single-traveler-benefit/

TAHKUCT likes this.
  10. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points: