Amex Business question

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by tulane09, Mar 5, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. tulane09

tulane09 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have the amex business gold, about to meet the $10,000 in spend and get the 75,000 MR. I was wondering, once that credits my account can I upgrade to business platinum and get the 25,000 point bonus, or do I have to open up another card?

Singapore Flyer likes this.
  2. jetsfan
    Original Member

jetsfan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is it giving you the option to upgrade online? If yes, then you can do that and keep the same card number and everything if you're "approved". I'm not sure what the approval process consists of but I was able to do it without providing any updated salary information and couldn't find a mention of any credit pull in the terms.

If it doesn't show up online, you may be able to do it by calling them, I'm not sure. Either way, make sure you actually have the points in your account prior to upgrading.

3. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:

You have to get an "upgrade offer" to be eligible for any bonuses.

You can't just open a platinum account since T&C says that applicants who had either the same,gold or green products are not eligible for the 25k offer...

4. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Only about 90% sure, but I believe the CARD Act of 2009 prevents an issuer from increasing the fees on an account, even if requested by the consumer, within the first year of a card opening. So that means no gold-to-platinum conversion. However that may not apply to business cards.

The T&C of any new platinum application would determine eligibility for a bonus, the Mercedes Benz version might not include the prohibition of possessing another MR card, but I don't know if there is a business version.

5. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
    MB is a different product but unfortunately there isn't a business version...

6. anpe

anpe Active Member

Status Points:
    +1 to that. I had a few upgrade banners in my account before new year, and then all of the disappeared and now it says not eligible. Same happened with upgrade offer Hilton -> Surpass.