Amex Business Gold - Important Question on Min Spend Bonus

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by Jedimaster007, Apr 13, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Jedimaster007

Jedimaster007 New Member

Status Points:
    Hello Forum, my first post :)

I have immersed myself into the miles and points strategies the past few months since will traveling overseas for 6 months. Learned a lot from many websites and forums, but can't find an answer to this question. In centers on the terminology sent to me from Amex as part of Business Gold paperwork that says:

"Eligible purchases do NOT include....purchases or reloading of prepaid cards or purchases of other cash equivalents."

I just received an Amex Business Gold with 50,000 point offer attached for $5,000 spend. I paid for most of my trip already on other cards to meet min spend, but signed up for the Amex Gold as I can hit the min spend in one of two ways.:

1) I could reload my new target RedCard with the Gold Amex and simply bill pay mortgage, taxes, etc. But it seems like this won't count as spending per Amex agreement. Amex will of course know, since RedCard is an Amex product. But everyone on the forums using RedCard says it meets min spend requirements. Does anyone have specific experience with this? Any cases of getting denied the membership reward points? I could not find anything on the forums or other sites on this topic, so please link me if you know.

2) Is this language with other point cards like Chase or Citibank?

3) I could just charge my quarterly income tax payments and pay the 1.87%, which I will be glad to do to make life easy and ensure the points. That is less than $100 for 55,000 points as a back up plan.

I don't want to blow 50,000 bonus points over fine print. Thanks for your time.

Jedimaster

2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    You seem very stressed about using your new credit card. Perhaps you should try a small purchase to verify if it works as described by others, and gain some confidence. IMO that other forum where you got your information has much more active participation on the subject of Manufactured Spending than here. The format here is much easier to search, but don't expect as much content here.

3. Jedimaster007

Jedimaster007 New Member

Status Points:
    Good advice. I in fact already had tested the Redcard and it works fine.

I posted this on a bloggers site too and he responded the Amex language has been around for quite some time and people have no problem with Amex bonus points posting despite reloading. So I will just quick hit the $5,000 and have a back up plan in order.