Amex Blue Cash Preferred and MR Points

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by gconnery, Oct 30, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't currently have a good card for grocery shopping. I can't get a Preferred Rewards Gold card anytime soon since my oldest card is an Amex Green, so I wouldn't get the bonus points which is the only way I could justify the annual fee.

So I'm looking at the Blue Cash Everyday or Preferred Cards. Yes I'm aware they now have a $6,000 cap on the 3%/6% return on grocery shopping.

One thing I don't understand is whether these can earn Membership Rewards Points or not. I currently have an MR First card--an MB Platinum. As I understand it, the MB Platinum means I earn MR First points, which have some additional flexibility vs. MR Standard.

But Blue Cash cards earn MR Express. The question is whether, like the Chase Sapphire/Freedom pair, you can a) transfer the MR Express points to MR First points as long as you hold the other card, or b) the BC cards somehow earn MR First points, or c) they always earn MR Express which can only be turned into a statement credit no matter what.

Anybody able to clarify this for me?

2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Blue Cash cards earn cash only, hence their name. You can redeem cash rewards for statement credits in $25 increments, or buy overpriced trinkets from the AmEx mall.
    It's not possible to buy MR points with cash.

3. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Odd. I had seen all this discussion on FlyerTalk about keeping a Blue Cash card as a way to preserve your MR points if you cancelled all your other cards. The way it sounded was that your MR points would become MR Express points until you got a new MR card, and then they would be converted back or you could transfer them back or something...

4. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that you are confusing he AMEX Blue Cash with the AMEX Blue. The AMEX Blue does earn MR points.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  5. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah... Thanks so much. I guess I thought Amex Blue and Amex Blue Cash Classic were the same thing, and Blue Cash Preferred is of course a variant of that with a higher annual fee and better rewards on some categories etc.

Okay, so Blue seems like a fine card to hold for the long term since it has no annual fee and will keep your Membership Rewards points from expiring AND it doesn't prevent you from say qualifying for an Amex PRG bonus since that excludes members who've had a Zync, Green, Gold or Platinum card in the last 12 months. And not the Blue. Great. Maybe I'll pick one up at some point just for the 10k bonus and to keep for the long haul, as long as they don't change the T&C's.

But it doesn't fix my Groceries problem. Huh.

6. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Okay, so the standard list of good grocery credit cards that earn points/miles seems to be:

Hilton HHonors Surpass 6X (maybe 2.4%)
    Hilton HHonors NAF 5X (maybe 2%)
    Club Carlson Premier Rewards Signature (2% ish)
    American Express Premier Rewards Gold Personal (2X, up to maybe 4%)

Well... I'm sitting out my 12 months since my last Surpass, I have no interest in Club Carlson (busy enough with SPG, Hyatt and Hilton thanks), and I don't qualify for the PRG bonus as I said, so not interested in paying the $175 annual fee right now anyway.

I guess the obvious choice is the Hilton HHonors NAF. It has no annual fee, has a decent bonus if you ignore the fact that its HH points (40,000 points at .4 cents is $160 ish). And its been more than 90 days since I got rid of the Surpass so I should qualify. As long as I dump it 90 days before I want another Surpass...

I guess I have my answer. Whether this is what I waste my next Amex application on... well thats another question.