AMEX Announces a New Benefit for the Business Platinum Card

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by NYCUA1K, Apr 20, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    This just landed in my inbox. No further details other than those in the announcement flyer below are provided. The benefit seems significant to me.

upload_2015-4-20_9-39-48.png

Sammich, mattsteg, marcwint55 and 2 others like this.
  2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The problem with this is that when you pay with points, they only give you 1 cent per point. You are much better off transferring to an airline partner and then booking with their points.

IDGflygirl, aaucello and NYCUA1K like this.
  3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am not sure I see where the 1% per point comes from. I purchased an airline ticket directly through AMEX using MR points only once when I got 20% of the points back and I thought that was pretty good. This seems better than that. What am I missing since I am not too familiar with using MR points to purchase airline tickets or transferring them to miles (I almost invariably transfer my MR points to HHonors points at a rate of 1:1.5, since I have always had plenty of RDMs)?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  4. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not necessarily....since using MR points to PAY for a flight usually entails receiving the airline's miles and points for that flight, whereas transferring the MR points to the airline's FF program and then using/redeeming the airline points/miles to pay for the flight typically (if not always) results in not receiving any miles/points for the flight. So it depends if you want to pay perhaps extra to get points/miles from airline and re-qualify/qualify for status, or to just use points. Even if the latter, the MR option may be the best. YMMV.

IDGflygirl, marcwint55 and NYCUA1K like this.
  5. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You probably are not getting the best value by transferring to Hilton, although it may suit your needs best. If you buy a ticket for $3 000.00 using MR points, you will have to use 300,000 points. You will then get back 90,000 points, so you are using 210,000 points for a $3,000.00 ticket. You can a bit less mileage than that to book a round trip first class ticket on Singapore Airlines, which would cost immensely more than $3,000.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    With respect to my not getting the best value by transferring my MR points to HHonors points, that is highly subjective. Until the recent move by UA to the revenue FF system I earned more redeemable miles than I could use every year due to my almost exclusive long-haul international travel destinations. Therefore, I have never needed to transfer my MR points to miles, so that transfers to HHonors seemed reasonable. With my earning of redeemable miles to be cut by about half overall under the revenue system, I may need to reconsider how I use my MR points, but with UA not being an AMEX transfer partner, my options may still be limited. Buying tickets straight through AMEX and getting 30% back thus seems like a viable option.

The bottom line is indeed that each situation needs to be considered individually to determine the best option.

Kaanapali and marcwint55 like this.
  7. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You may want to check if crediting your miles to Singapore of Lufthansa will work better for you. It certainly won't get you status on United, but you may earn many more miles and not need the status to book your trips.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  8. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Definitely the one option that I'd already intended to pursue once I reach 1MM, which is just 130K BIS miles away. I will have lifetime *G status and would thus be able to diversify my mile earning for maximum return as the *G status would be good enough for me.

9. othermike27

othermike27 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone know if this new benefit does/will apply to personal Platinum cards also? Asking because I currently hold no MR-earning cards, and don't keep up with the details of their program. TIA.

10. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Using your example, I just convinced myself that this isn't a bad deal at all especially, as @Kaanapali noted, if one uses the MR points to PAY for a ticket. If I purchase a $3K ticket from UA, it would cost me 300K MR points of which I will get 30% or 90K back. Because as far as UA is concerned the ticket would cost $3K in hard cash and being a 1K, I would earn under the revenue system $3K * 11 = 33K miles.
    Net effect:
    Out: 210 MR points
    In: 90K MR points + 33K UA miles, which I would consider great.

An even better deal would be to purchase the $3K ticket from a carrier that has not yet moved to the revenue system, e.g., SQ. With elite and class of service bonus miles, a long-haul intl flight could earn me 40K-50K, which I could credit to my UA account. This benefit looks better and better.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015