AmEx-advertised promotions (e.g. the $200 restaurant gift promo)

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by phonehome, Mar 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. phonehome
    Original Member

phonehome Active Member

Status Points:
    Are these AmEx promotions hoaxes?

I've never considered signing up for the lotteries and sweepstakes that they keep advertising, but the latest $200 restaurant gift card offer which I received actually sounded like it might be worth something.

Has anyone had any positive or negative experiences with this offer?

2. PoorMansBidet
    Original Member

PoorMansBidet Silver Member

Status Points:
    From what I've read on other threads those gift cards are restricted such that they are actually only 50% off your total bill or something. So you actually need to have $400 in restaurant bill to get the $200 off.

Someone else might be able to give additional details.

wheat27 likes this.
  3. norge
    Original Member

norge Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe you are correct. It's a coupon from restaurant.com The coupon's value is about $40 because a $200 cert can usually be purchased with an 80% off code.

4. akcae
    Original Member

akcae Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed -- not worth it. Every restaurant I looked at in my area restricts to 50% of the bill. So, you can redeem for, say, a $50 coupon but you'd have to have a bill total up to at least $100. Pass.

Kalboz likes this.
  5. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've chosen not to take up these offers. They normally come with strings attached and I certainly don't want any subscriptions to anything that require you to cancel or get automatically billed.

6. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    AMEX did have one great promotion a couple of months ago. The $25 off "Small Business" promotion. All you needed to do was register the card and then spend at least $25 at a small business. My wife and I registered all our cards and used the cards at our normal stores and wound up saving about $150 (couple of restaurants, local nursery a couple of times, and some other small business'). Not bad at all.

7. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I too will pass on Rest.com cert's I've used them in the past but are a pain. Not worth the trouble.
    The $25 small business credit was great and the 5 free songs on iTunes (actually 15, 5 for each card your registered) were enjoyed by me daughter.

wheat27 likes this.