Amex 4 Credit Card Limit

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by gconnery, Oct 28, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Okay, so I guess I'd forgotten about this, but when I recently applied for the OBC (of course, just as the stories about shutdowns began), I got a call from Amex who explained that I'd have to close one of my other credit cards to get approved for this one. I had two SPG cards (personal and business), a HHonors NAF, and a new SimplyCash Business card I picked up for the extra 8% off Hyatts. So I closed the HHonors card--I can always pick up a Citi HH card again.

Maybe it won't be an issue if they just kill the OBC, but otherwise I'd actually like to get an EveryDay Preferred card to earn BA miles at a decent rate. And I won't be able to get another charge card without cancelling one of my current ones.

Since they count Business and Personal cards together I don't see any way around this. Is there? If I had one of the business cards with an EIN would that fix anything?

iolaire and danielwood like this.
  2. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would have my wife apply, so we could have a total of 8.

I have 4 at the moment and did not know of the rule,

gconnery likes this.
  3. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Note the 4 card limit is for CREDIT cards -- i.e. revolving credit. These include Hilton, Delta and SPG cards.

On the other hand, cards which must be paid in full every month, such as the Amex Premier Rewards Gold or Amex Platinum don't count toward the 4 card limit as they are technically considered charge cards rather than credit cards.

danielwood likes this.
  4. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow ... somehow I missed this rule. Guess I will need to cancel one of my cards soon, since I have Costco/SPG/HH/DL & wanted to pickup the everyday.

Curious but what is OBC ....

satman40 likes this.
  5. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    OBC = Old Blue Cash, e.g. the card that is seeing all the shutdowns. Has some nice bonus categories after the first $6,500 in spend in a calendar year, so its a nice MS tool. But of course that eventually got it noticed and now maybe that gravy train is ending just as I got the card. We'll see what happens. I may just shut it down and replace it with an Everyday Preferred. Depends what happens in the next little while. I haven't actually even got the card yet :).

edekba and satman40 like this.