Ameriprise World Elite MasterCard

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by legalalien, Mar 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a place to discuss Ameriprise World Elite MasterCard.

I have been using the card for close to two years - after not being able to justify sticking with Amex - and find it a great value. For a $150 annual fee (waived with certain Ameriprise investment accounts), it comes with a very good set of perks: 1%+ cash back, low APR (used to be 4.50%, going up to 6.25%), Priority Pass membership, travel concierge with free companion tickets on full-fare business class tickets, and a host of others. In addition, I have brought a guest a few times into a PP lounge, and have not been charged a fee, which basically makes AWEMC a better option than a regular Priority Pass membership.

sobore likes this.
  2. benolaa
    Original Member

benolaa Gold Member

Status Points:
    I liked Ameriprise better when they gave a free Platinum card at their top level. Once that perk left so did I.

druiddation likes this.
  3. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ameriprice World Elite card provides free Priority Pass membership with World Elite card for only $150/yr.

However, one can get Priority Pass free if a member of the PFCU credit union and spending $15k/yr on a AMEX card.
    http://www.plasticiq.com/blog/penfed-premium-travel-rewards-credit-card/

Amex also has a card for $450/yr that allows access to any lounge from AA, US Air, CO. There isone more airlone lounge allowed with this card but I forgot.

4. benolaa
    Original Member

benolaa Gold Member

Status Points:
    Delta

druiddation likes this.
  5. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I recall correctly, you have to be traveling on AA, US, CO or DL to get access to their respective lounges. PP has no restrictions; you can travel on any airline.

6. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    True. But Priority Pass doesn't allow access to all airline domestic lounges. When I called Ameriprise Concierge they were clueless on which airline lounges were omitted.

I got the Priority Pass CSR to better define some of the restrictions:
    1. AA does not allow lounge access in the USA but does allow Admiral Club access internationally
    2. Priority Pass includes BA
    3. Priority Pass allowed through Ameriprise is cheaper ($399(PP) vs $150(Ameriprise)) AND the Ameriprise
    does not have a guest fee.

Ameriprise is so clueless on which lounges are eligible if wants you go to each city and check one by one. PP CSR seem to understand the requirements easily designating airline and cities simplifying the comparison.

Hope this helps.

legalalien likes this.
  7. alphaeagle
    Original Member

alphaeagle Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Ameriprise Priority Pass card does not have a guest fee? And can't you just view the list of their lounges on their website?

8. PoorMansBidet
    Original Member

PoorMansBidet Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just as a point of clarity. The PFCU Amex only gives you 2 free visits then its the normal fee per person. After only 7 visits you would have exceeded the Ameriprise annual fee.

9. roberton3
    Original Member

roberton3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Officially, it does have a guest fee. But based on what people have posted on this and other boards, they almost never actually charge you that fee.

alphaeagle likes this.
  10. wombat18
    Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

Status Points:
  11. roberton3
    Original Member

roberton3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You need to boldface two words there, not just one: "cardholders receive free visits" -- officially, only the cardholders (including any additional authorized users, but not any guests) are supposed to get in free. But as I said earlier, people have posted that they almost never get charged for guests.

alphaeagle and wombat18 like this.
  12. notbgates
    Original Member

notbgates Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just received AWEMC Priority Pass renewal card ("expiry date 30 APL 12") and the right edge reads "VIP LOUNGE ACCESS" just like last year; so, not downgraded to the limited "SELECT" -type priviliges (yet?).
    I have used this benefit in USA , and have never been charged for myself or a guest.

Recently ordered the 4 free Delta skyclub passes from the AWEMC rewards program, which have arrived and are good for 1 year. Nice consolation prize since skyclubs/worldclubs dropped out of Priority Pass program.

UPDATE: Used AWEMC PP at CO Presidents Club - no problem (i.e., a charge) for me or Mrs Notbgates. The gatekeeper confirmed "VIP LOUNGE ACCESS" PP cards will continue to be honored after "select" PP cards are not; later this year.

legalalien likes this.
  13. elementaltrs

elementaltrs Silver Member

Status Points:
    Priority Pass comes in three levels, "Standard" at $99, you get the card. Each time you access a lounge, the card is swiped and your linked credit card is charged $27 for member $27 for Guest. The next level up 'Standard Plus' includes Ten (10) Pre-paid visits at a cost of $249, Guest $27. The highest level is 'Prestige Membership' $495 and includes unlimited access, Guest $27.