America's Rudest Cities

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by rwoman, Jan 20, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Travel and Leisure: America's Rudest Cities

It amuses me when I see lists like this. My experiences in NYC and Boston have been very good...very contrary to the stereotype!

:)

2. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    We were once staying at a friend's apartment in NYC and called a hotel to get a hold of a friend. Mrs DTWBOB politely asked the hotel operator may I please have so and so's room..... the operator refused and said no. Our friend (who grew up on a farm in Iowa) called back and rudely said GIVE ME SO and so's room. This time the operator did.

True story

DTWBOB

2soonold, cennas, LETTERBOY and 3 others like this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Me too.

I have found only Miami to be rude, and then only when using English on SW 8th street or somewhere equally unreasonable. My worst MIA experience was when i lived there and needed some help from my Congressperson Ileana Ros_Lehtinen. I emailed- no response. I called her local office which answered in Spanish and hung up on me when i spoke in English. I gave up. Both Florida Senators did respond and both had office staff that answered in English.

Frankly, apart from showing up in some small town somewhere and being obviously a stranger I have never found Americans anywhere to be rude. It simply does not happen! The New York Times has a regular report about odd happenings in teh city, and most of them are about people being nice to each other in unexpected ways. I have my story there too. When i was a graduate student at Columbia I was poor. I lived in a legacy apartment on 123rd St and Amsterdam Ave in the midst of what was then a nest of dissolute herion addicts. Both my roommate and I left for a weekend, each thinking the other had secured our apartment. We left the door open. When I arrived after the weekend one of the junkies told me what I'd done, advised me that people fo my ethnicity were stupid, but told me he'd locked the door. he had, nothing was missing. I gave him some clean needles (I got them from a needle exchange program) and he was grateful. Rude? New York? No!

4. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Never seemed to have an issue in Boston except on the 'T', which seems to be a madhouse.

Muerl, jbcarioca and rwoman like this.
  5. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Boston was always nice. Also no major problems in NYC for me.

jbcarioca and rwoman like this.
  6. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bostonians are indeed quite rude, and I say this as a born and raised Jersey Boy.

canucklehead and jbcarioca like this.
  7. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    when I'm in NYC, most of the rude people I've encountered have been visiting from somewhere else. Boston, on the other hand, I have found the locals to be condescending to the point of being rude. Dallas, #6 on that list, I have found has the same attitude as Boston.

TheTravelAbstract and 2soonold like this.
  8. yaychemistry

yaychemistry Silver Member

Status Points:
    To find rude people in NYC, go to a Yankees game (bleacher creatures!). In Boston, the T and Fenway. And, in Connecticut, drivers making a left turn (I'm turning left now, get out of my way). Oh, and it really irks me in CT, that no one returns their shopping cart at the grocery store... they just leave them scattered all over the parking lot!

2soonold, canucklehead and TAHKUCT like this.
  9. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ultimately, I think we can find rude people just about everywhere...

;)

10. flyer_o

flyer_o Gold Member

Status Points:
    Totally shocked Philly isn't higher. "What do you want" has to be the most popular phrase in the city. I love the brusqueness, but I'm shocked that others don't find it off putting.

rwoman, 2soonold and infamousdx like this.
  11. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally, I disagree about New York and if the moron who wrote that articles comes around I'll spit on him and kick him into the gutter.

2wheels, mailbroad, flyer_o and 2 others like this.
  12. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now a nest of trendy restaurants.

Great New York story.

13. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Or to an Ohio State-Michigan game in Columbus, some of the Ohio State fans we've run into are so crude you wonder if they had mothers.

DTWBOB

gobluetwo, TAHKUCT and rwoman like this.
  14. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    Atlanta has been invaded by Yankees.
    So, if people are just plain rude they are probably not natives.
    The natives tend to be quite concerned about being polite about their rudeness.:rolleyes:

gobluetwo likes this.
  15. Rejuvenated
    Original Member

Rejuvenated Gold Member

Status Points:
    So basically LA was bumped off the #1 spot last year all the way down to #4. :p

Now it'll be interesting how the rankings will go this year for the most "hated" cities in the country.

16. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Was sitting in a nice cafeteria near the UN finishing my breakfast. Was looking at the newspaper and was just taking the last sip of coffee. Over comes a security guard who worked their and told me to "move on" that I was sitting there too long. Had been in the place for about 20 minutes. I was to stay in NYC for a few days, went out to the airport and went to London. Won't go to NYC ever again, rude, rude, rude.

TheTravelAbstract likes this.
  17. javacodeguy

javacodeguy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seems a bit harsh to judge an entire city on just one poor encounter.

18. TrippePanAM

TrippePanAM Gold Member

Status Points:
    New York is totally number one....... I just don't think it is a friendly setting

rwoman and TheTravelAbstract like this.
  19. TheTravelAbstract

TheTravelAbstract Silver Member

Status Points:
    Come to The Bronx if you want a day full of cliché and stereotypical NYC behavior. ;)

Sounds about right. Move on and get the f outta New York. Thanks for the money SUCKER!!

Welcome to the concrete jungle kiddo! Only the strong survive.

Boooooooo! Booooooooooooo! Don't even try to enter our airspace. Don't. Try it. Trust me.

rwoman and LETTERBOY like this.
  20. CharlesG

CharlesG Gold Member

Status Points:
    New Yorkers aren't really rude; we're just focused on where we need to go next. It's more that we don't suffer fools gladly than anything else, but if you're lost, need help finding something, almost any NYer will try and help. I've seen groups of people try and help lost tourists in the subway.

As for the Bronx being rude, I grew up there, and don't think we're any ruder than any place else. Most of the people at Yankees games are Richie Riches from the suburbs who think they're better than most, and aren't really true fans anyway!

jetsetr, tondoleo, rwoman and 2 others like this.
  21. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    First, GO BLUE! Second, there's rude and then there are buckeyes on the day of The Game. Rude doesn't even begin to describe it.

As an Atlanta native, I agree with that assessment completely. ;)

I also don't think NYers are rude. They're loud, blunt, and don't really pay attention to you if you don't grab their attention first, but I don't really see that as rude. Maybe just more direct than some people are used to. Never had a problem with anyone helping me out, though.

rwoman, javacodeguy and LETTERBOY like this.
  22. ohianjo
    Original Member

ohianjo Silver Member

Status Points:
    NYC would have to be the friendliest ;) Chicago on the other hand....

CharlesG likes this.