America's best coffee cities

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by sobore, Aug 19, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://travel.yahoo.com/ideas/ameri...228977.html;_ylt=ArtHpeo1ureXNTudULlbkVmhpYMA

[​IMG]

Before you order an espresso at a Seattle coffee bar, you can often read where the coffee beans came from, how those beans were roasted — and even a short résumé of the barista who’s making your cup.

Such passion made Seattle a shoo-in to win the title of best coffee city, according to Travel + Leisure readers. In the annual America’s Favorite Cities survey, readers ranked 35 cities on such features as friendly locals, cultural ambience and ice cream.

Some everyday fans may feel overwhelmed by the sophisticated options, say, whether to order a pour-over versus a siphon or drip. When in doubt, just treat your barista like a bartender. A good barista loves questions.

Read More: http://travel.yahoo.com/ideas/ameri...228977.html;_ylt=ArtHpeo1ureXNTudULlbkVmhpYMA

jbcarioca, Gargoyle and uggboy like this.
  2. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just read the title of the post and.....murmured Seattle. :)

jbcarioca, Gargoyle and uggboy like this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Define "America" please. It cannot really mean only the USA, can it?
    If it is the USA then the winner in my book is Chicago, for one specific reason. It has the only genuine Viennese coffee houses in the Americas:
    http://northamerica.meinl.com/coffeehouses/
    These places are short on the techno-hype of Seattle, long on the atmosphere and high quality that have been Viennese hallmarks since the 1600's. These places are worth a trip!:D

4. travel4art

travel4art Active Member

Status Points:
    I know my fiancé always loved intelligencia coffee when we lived in Downtown Chicago. They used to be a little Shop and now they have more locations around the Country and in Los Angeles. He is a coffee snob. check them out...

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
  6. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Let's see, I live in San Jose, Costa Rica, which is part of the Americas... I get my beans from a friend and specialty roaster who knows my taste. I can visit beautiful, world class coffee farms in under an hour. A college friend a principal buyer for Stumptown, and comes here regularly (although he's also regularly in Africa and Indonesia)

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    No mention of Berkeley? Home to Peet's. Sacrilege.

dmel likes this.