American's New 767-300 International Business Class

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by gleff, Mar 9, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    American released photos on Friday of its new Boeing 767 international business class seat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It’s not the same seat they’ve put onto their new 777-300ERs. The Boeing 767 isn’t a wide enough aircraft to put in that same seat and still have 4 across seating. But the new 767 seat retains all-aisle access — a seat at each window and two seats in the middle.

The 767-300 seat is essentially the same that Delta chose for its 767s and several other carriers use.

Some will find the new seats narrow (an armrest that pushes down into the seat can open up the space a bit) and tall folks will probably find that the foot cubby is on the narrow side.

The plane gets refreshed lavatories, and the economy cabin will have new seat covers and cushions. Business class gets AC power ports finally, and USB ports.

For inflight entertainment, they won’t be putting in audio/video on demand. And these planes don’t get internet. They’re updating the main screens and overhead monitors with new LCD monitors and digital audio systems, and business class will continue to get personal Samsung Galaxy tablets.

Going fully flat they are reducing capacity from 30 to 28 seats.

The new seat will debut on the New York JFK – Zurich route April 1st. They’ll be proceeding with addition retrofits of 767s, with about half (25?) of their 58 aircraft being converted by the end of 2015 and the other half being retired.

American hasn’t given a firmer timeline for the retrofit or what other routes will be getting the seats in what order.

Seat6A, basiface, Flyer1976 and 5 others like this.
  2. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    As you said, looks almost identical to Delta's refurbed 767s.

Attached Files:

Flyer1976, uggboy and gleff like this.
  3. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope they did better with the PSU placement, overhead. When I sat in 1A, I had to reach behind me to open the air vent and it didn't blow on me. FWIW, I wasn't impressed.

uggboy likes this.
  4. ChrisUNC

ChrisUNC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are they replacing the overhead bins only in the business class cabin, or throughout the entire plane?

gregm likes this.
  5. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am not a fan of staggered J.

gregm likes this.
  6. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm curious why? I like a window seat, right next to the window, so I have to select carefully. These seats beat the reverse herringbone seats Delta has on their 777s. You can't even look out the window.

NYBanker likes this.
  7. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    A few reasons...
    A) the footwells are small, I struggle to turn over without removing one foot. (There are a few exceptions....some of the bulkhead seats have bigger footwells, but they are few.)
    B) there is no concept of privacy. The seats are lower than economy seats and the rows are close...to me, it feels like a wide-open cabin.

I prefer the BA Ying-Yang the best. Very private seats and no hole for your feet. QF and KE J are second for me....you give up some privacy (though not as much as with the staggered J), but again have no foot hole situation.

Re Delta's (and other carriers') reverse herringbone seats.... What do you mean you can't see out the window? Are you thinking regular herringbone (on their 777-200LRs?)...while those aren't well suited for seeing out the window, their reverse herringbone seats orient you directly to the window.

gregm likes this.
  8. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's what I actually meant, regarding the DL seats.

9. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    You meant regular herringbone?

They're not my favorite....though there is no foot hole, I find there is a lot of bumping into feet as pax and FAs walk the aisle. I prefer it to staggered J, but it is second to last of the lie-flat J products for me.

gregm likes this.
  10. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This reminds me somewhat of the US Envoy setup.

I like the look and feel of the US Envoy product without the Swoosh of course. :)

11. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why couldn't they just put screens in like on the 773? Tablets are such pain, esp when your watching a movie, and FA's want to collect them 45 mins to 1 hr before landing.

12. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Because Doug Parker is in charge now :) He took IFE OUT of all his narrow body planes not too long ago....

13. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, with DL there's not much choice. I don't find the same as you, regarding the bumping, but I do have fav and non-fav seats. Just curious, with fabric, is there 'herringbone and reverse herringbone'?

14. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's not the fabric - it's the orientation of the seats to each other. Outward facing at 45 deg angle is herringbone ala DL 772, old AC 772, VA, etc. In comparison new AA 773, new CX, US Envoy, BR, and many others use a "reverse herringbone" where the two seats point towards each other at a 40ish degree angle.

gregm and NYBanker like this.
  15. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    DL has numerous long-haul J products to choose from. Too many, IMHO.

JonNYC likes this.
  16. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    The seating pattern is named after the fabric. herringbone.jpg
    Delta's 747 and 777 J seating is herringbone; in the 747s you angle towards the window and the aisle with the 777s.
    Screen Shot 2014-03-15 at 5.28.01 PM.png Screen Shot 2014-03-15 at 5.28.22 PM.png herringbone.jpg

17. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Guess I was being too literal before coffee.

Isn't the patten of the fabric named after the way the bones in a fish lay? ;)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
    Betty Boop and gregm like this.
  18. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
  19. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now come on! Seattle and without AM coffee? I can't remember the last time I filleted a fish! (Isn't there salmon in the Ballard area? I remember going to the locks and there being some. I think......:confused:)

ballardFlyer likes this.
  20. Seat6A

Seat6A Silver Member

Status Points:
    you guys make me laugh, but it is based in "wow did i just learn something!" party on, Garth.

21. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm on this plane from ZRH to JFK in April. My SWU just cleared,:) so I'll give a trip report on the comforts of 5A after I land.

FriendlySkies and skit53 like this.
  22. skit53
    Original Member

skit53 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! Looking forward to hearing how this flight turns out!

23. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Has nothing to do with that. It's because the 763s are only around for a few years, and they weren't equipped for AVOD, and a full refit (redo Y, add AVOD) wouldn't pay for itself in anything approaching a reasonable time...

Sucks, but if they're short timers for the fleet it makes sense.

FriendlySkies likes this.