Americans are world's worst tourists, says new survey

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by rwoman, Jun 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah, got to love stereotypes! ;)

Americans are world's worst tourists, says new survey

Kalboz, uggboy and autolycus like this.
  2. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    What an asinine and worthless survey. 4000 American respondents and only 1600 from 4 other countries?

I wonder what the numbers would look like if Canada and Mexico were subtracted.

Kalboz, canucklehead, uggboy and 2 others like this.
  3. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    I find these studies to be pretty silly. It is entirely based on reputation and not real behavior. And really telling that Americans rated Americans badly. We tend to pay attention to our countryman more when they misbehave. We often wouldn't know that it was a Norwegian misbehaving rather than a Swede, so we have no way to say that the Norwegians are the worst. Oh, and we notice bad behavior by Americans more because there are a lot more Americans traveling the world by raw number than there are Norwegians or Swedes.

Note that I pick two Scandanavian countries because they are generally well-liked people and are hard for most Americans to distinguish. I do not have any reason to think that Norwegians or Swedes are particularly bad tourists.

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder if they actually bother to do a survey, or if they just sit around a table and make this crap up.

uggboy, autolycus, ella and 2 others like this.
  5. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is a numbers game. The higher number of tourist the higher chance of rude ppl in that batch. The people surveyed must not have visited a lot of places. I have had the unfortunate experience of encountering tourist that are many times worse than Americans in places like Hong Kong and other parts of SEA. I make it a point to let those around me that I am not one of them :). I am not trying to offend an entire nation like the survey did, but point out that there will always be a rogue group any time there is a large number of brand new travelers visiting various destinations.

uggboy, kwai and autolycus like this.
  6. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't see that many Americans in SE Asia (compared to certain other nationalities) and I mostly go out of my way to avoid the tourist areas. That said, Americans are far from the worst here and if the survey was done here I guarantee the outcome would be VERY different.

As for the bolded [mine] portion, I agree fully. I tangentially alluded to this earlier with my comment about the percentage of Americans traveling to various countries, and the delta should Canada and Mexico be subtracted. Since 70% of the respondents were from the US there's a good chance their image of the American tourist is based upon an experience in Tijuana or something of the like.

autolycus and uggboy like this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Not sure that any tourist is still going to Tijuana. Maybe Cancun.

autolycus, kwai and uggboy like this.
  8. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed, which is why I said 'Tijuana or something of the like'. ;)

If the survey is heavily based upon a N American perspective of N American tourist locales then Americans will indeed be perceived poorly because they (we) would be the predominant nationality involved.

Expand the nationalities involved and the numbers would change. Even if all nationalities in this poll were queried in equal numbers, which would take away the N American bent, the numbers would be significantly different.

9. daawgon

daawgon New Member

Status Points:
    No, we're not the worst, but far from the best! Far too many Americans just think it's too expensive to travel overseas, and I do believe that we Americans are just plain lazy. Many also believe that "we should see America first", and totally overlook the educational benefits of foreign travel. I'm just glad that I'm not a typical Yank.

10. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    The return of the Ugly American?

Ignoring everything else for the moment, I disagree that that this makes it worse. If Americans are the worst-behaved tourists, then it would be worse if we didn't know it, thinking we were the best (e.g., as is the case in so many other areas, where Americans think we have the best healthcare and the best education in the world).

40% being thieves sounds terrible, but when you multiple the per-item percentage by the 40% figure it's not as terrible: 11.2% say they steal towels, 3.2% steal bathrobes, smaller percentages steal pillows, sheets, etc. While stealing towels, robes, pillows, sheets, remotes, and such is deplorable, I don't think Bibles count -- don't the Gideons put them there hoping people take them and convert?

Those numbers are higher than I would have thought.

11. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    By the way, the same site (Fox News) had this link at the bottom of the story: The Top Ten Gross Things Flight Attendants Have Seen Passengers Do on Airplanes. Sounds pretty gross (fecal-encrusted tissues back in the tissue dispenser?) but I have my doubts as to the veracity. One says a passenger dried his sopping wet socks by hanging them over the air vent above his seat. How can you do that? The air vents point down, not up, and are on the bottom of the overhead bin. How can you put anything over them? Makes me think these are all FA urban legends.

12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Using the duct tape that some airlines use to keep parts of the cabin in place?

13. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Speaking of "world's worst", I can't help but notice the source is Fox News.