American Work visa (for Canadians) - some questions

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by janyyc, Mar 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. janyyc
    Original Member

janyyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey all!

I'm sorry if you've noticed my absence... Or maybe you're welcome!*

A quick question - for the first time (actually second time, but I digress), I am in possession of a I-797 form.

I was wondering if those of you with US Work visas always are approved at the border? Any problems? My parents are slightly worried, since we are all traveling on this trip. My parents, however, are not working, they're a) chaperoning and b) going skiing with me in ASE.

Any other recommendations? :)

janyyc

PS - the first time I had a visa was in Dec. '08, and I don't remember much, because that was also the time (first and last time!) when my mom & I didn't have our NEXUS cards... :rolleyes: :p

*I have been writing my trip reports in my free time, which has diminished significantly during the last few days...

2. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    You should bring the official I-797, Notice of Action form with you. I have never been denied entry with this visa.

This lower part is from my experience -- I have an O-1 visa, which may or may not be the same visa as yours:
    They will probably attach the lower portion (right side) to your passport (if it is detachable), and may need you to fill in an I-94 form (white version) to accompany it.

As a minor, I do not foresee a problem with your parents accompanying you, though that may get extra questions asked by the USCIS.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy Aspen!

3. janyyc
    Original Member

janyyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah I have person of extraordinary ability visa too! :p :D thanks for your help!

YULflyer69 likes this.
  4. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was once told its a visa for supermodels, rockstars and Nobel prize winners. Welcome to the club! [​IMG]

5. BoyAreMyArmsTired
    Original Member

BoyAreMyArmsTired Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have an O-1 visa too...it gets the "hmmm" from the immigration people sometimes. I carry everything with me all the time ...the pieces, the originals, copies because you never know what they want, and it changes. I had one officer staple one piece in my passport and then a couple of months later had another officer give me crap because he thought I had done it and he took it out. I have learned the hard way just to be over prepared, all the time.

6. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good advice, I forgot to mention that the original I-797 should be on hand when border crossing. My immigration staff used to keep it in the office (and I had several photocopies), but one CBP agent said I needed to have it with me (the wording changed a few years ago).

Also janyyc, I would also suggest a letter or document as to the performance you will be doing in Aspen, as one of the questions will be where you are working, what you will be doing, and potentially any proof of that event. All precautionary.... but better safe than sorry.

7. janyyc
    Original Member

janyyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Would eventually showing him my website work? (on my iPhone)

8. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    not sure how they consider internet based items, but this page as a printout might do the trick!

9. janyyc
    Original Member

janyyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Huh? How did you know?!!! :p :D :D :D
    I actually just printed that page out.
    Should my parents and I have two separate declarations, as they aren't going for business, or can we all be on one?

10. getaround
    Original Member

getaround Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I was a Nobel prize winner I'm not sure how id feel about being grouped with "supermodels & rockstars" :)

11. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some supermodels and rockstars might not know much about Nobel prizes, either! :rolleyes: :D

12. janyyc
    Original Member

janyyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Back on subject guys! I restate my question:
    Should my parents and I have two separate declarations, as they aren't going for business, or can we all be on one?

13. QSG
    Original Member

QSG Gold Member

Status Points:
    "Each individual arriving into the United States must complete the CBP Declaration Form 6059B. If you are traveling with other immediate family members, complete one form per family unit."

The above is from the declaration form so.....

14. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you talking about the customs declaration? That's one per family, although it asks how many dependents you have. I would use one, and mark two dependents even though they're your parents, not your children. In any case, you can explain to the agent -- or do all of you have Nexus?

15. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    easy to google you!

My answer is - I don't know, but my guess is you would all enter together as you are one family/address and traveling together, even if for different reasons (performer/chaperone). (I do see where the confusion for Line #10 on the US Customs Declaration form declaring if it is Business-related may be confusing -- not sure if you can leave it blank and ask the Customs Agent about that line). I have never travelled with my family, so I could not give you a personal experience answer. You should also remember to have the address of the Chapel you will perform at, just in case they ask what it is (along with the hotel/resort you will stay at).

tomh009 reminds me of another point. Did you register your 0-1 with Nexus. I am not positive, but I suspect that all Visa holders need to be registered in the system, along with the I-94 #. If so, then you would be able to use Nexus kiosks. If you have not, then you may need a visit to Nexus office also. Sorry to be the bearer of potential bad news, or at the least, an extra trip. I had a change in my I94 and have not used Nexus as it is not updated.

Wish I could be of more help as I do understand and know that it can be nerve-wracking dealing with USCIS.

16. in Canada we included "exotic dancers"

YULflyer69 likes this.
  17. janyyc
    Original Member

janyyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow! Thanks for the heads-up on the NEXUS thing. I'll double check. We all have NEXUS.

18. YULflyer69
    Original Member

YULflyer69 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This brings up the interesting question of what the inverse of an O-3 visa would be. O-3 is for "spouse or child" of an O-1 visa holder. What if the O-1 visa holder is the child??? [​IMG]

why fly likes this.
  19. 2MM_Guy
    Original Member

2MM_Guy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice picture! Good luck with the border crossing.

20. flying-gal
    Original Member

flying-gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    How did the concert go?
    Any problems with border crossing / visas you were enquiring about in opening post?

21. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree - quite debonair! :) Hope it all went well! Time to google for reviews!

22. janyyc
    Original Member

janyyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    No problems at all. Was sent to the front of the regular line where we had no problems! :) Thanks for all your help.

Going skiing today & tomorro here in Snowmass! :)

23. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah to lead such a leisurely life ;) Have fun!

24. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad they let you in!

Enjoy the skiing, the snow was pretty good at Keystone last month, hope Aspen is as nice, if not better!

25. janyyc
    Original Member

janyyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yup, so far seems great. A little snow overnight and blue skies today!!! :D
    PS I've skied here twice before and I just love it! :)