American Suspending 777-200 Retrofits, Looking For New Seat Manufacturer

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by BoardingArea, Sep 24, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. BoardingArea

BoardingArea News Feed

Status Points:
    For quite a while now, American has been in the process of refreshing their longhaul fleet. This is happening both in the form of taking delivery of new planes (including Boeing 787s and 777-300ERs), as well as retrofitting existing planes with new cabins (including their 767-300s and 777-200s). I love American's 777-300ERs, as they feature reverse herringbone seats in business class, which are licensed from Cathay Pacific (which is why they're virtually identical). Originally most people assumed that American's 777-200s would feature those same seats, given that the "bones" of the cabin are the same. However, American instead decided to go with a different seat. While I haven't flown the plane yet, based on what I've heard the seat isn't quite as spacious as the 777-300ER business class seat. So why did American go with a Zodiac seat on the 777-200 rather than the same seat as the 777-300ER? Apparently because the reverse herringbone seat was only licensed for the 777-300ER, and it was cheaper for American to come up with a new seat design altogether, rather than license that seat for the 777-200 as well. The post American Suspending 777-200 Retrofits, Looking For New Seat Manufacturer appeared first on One Mile at a Time.

Continue reading...