American killed in Bangkok over taxi fare

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by viguera, Jul 8, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ugh.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/5003056/taxi-driver-cherged-with-murder.html#ixzz2YSFaUVH6

2. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Pretty horrific stuff. Hopefully the government deals with this swiftly.

Sweet Willie, LETTERBOY and uggboy like this.
  3. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    really sad !

There are idiots everywhere, those that can't control their anger/emotions. On the eve of conceal carry being passed in IL, I'm not comforted, too many morons around with easily bruised egos and I refuse to believe that somehow the wild west being played out in this era won't result in injuries/deaths of the "wrong" person or bystanders. (FWIW, I am a hunter and a handgun owner and fully believe in RESPONSIBLE ownership)

B1BomberVB likes this.
  4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
  5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
  6. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
  7. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow, don't let my wife see this. I've been trying to convince her to visit BKK next spring.

viguera and jwsky like this.
  8. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just don't get in a cab. :). I wonder why cab drivers in every city all over the globe are thieves. Every city I have ever been to where I have gotten in a cab from Beijing to Hong Kong to Paris to Madrid to the US, you always have to be on edge in a cab because you know you are going to most likely get ripped off. Strange that the profession attracts such a high percentage of low fiber people who do anything to make an extra buck, euro, yuan, etc.

9. jwsky
    Original Member

jwsky Silver Member

Status Points:
    You are way over stating this. I have had cab drivers in places as different as Lima, Peru and Casablanca, Morocco go way out of their way to help me out. Neither spoke English and I had not tipped them until arriving at my destination. That said, I have been ripped off too. So, pay attention, keep correct change and remember no amount of money is worth bodily injury.

B1BomberVB and guberif like this.
  10. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some in Bangkok are awesome. They'll take whatever you offer, apologize for the smallest thing, and try to make sure you enjoy your time. Others will argue and try to demand twice the regular rate, like they're doing you a favor even though the line of empty cabs is 20 deep. Although I hate doing it (I wish everyone would just use the meter) the best way to get around has been to always -- always -- negotiate my fare up front to bring out their personality before getting in.

Oh, and those good ones? They get very generous tips. I'm out of pocket the same either way.

B1BomberVB likes this.
  11. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was threatened to be punched (I am a small older female) by a Bangkok taxi driver who had rigged his meter to run at twice the rate to BKK. Ever since I have refused the unicolor taxi's and only taken the yellow and green ones b/c they are allegedly owned by the driver while the others are rented (often to drivers not familiar with Bangkok - which is hard enough to navigate if you are living there!). That said - the taxi drivers vary tremendously and despite the new law that they are not allowed to do this - they frequently refuse to put the meter on.
    The result for me is that I take city buses, mini van taxi's (even cheaper and more convenient when available, but since I can't read Thai I only know one route) or other public transport whenever possible to avoid the taxi's. It's a very short term attitude to rip off people today and forget about the long run, but that is the way it is in Thailand. I would estimate that they have lost hundreds of dollars in fares from me over the last few years and if you multiply that....... well I guess I just don't understand the Thai business model.

viguera likes this.
  12. ozstamps
    Original Member

ozstamps Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've safely caught a ton of cabs in BKK and sad to read this.