American Flight Attendant Contract Arbitration Complete

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by BoardingArea, Dec 14, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. BoardingArea

BoardingArea News Feed

Airline labor relations are fascinating, though I usually don't chime in on them. That's simply because I'm not an expert on them, and I also tend to think the truth lies somewhere in the middle, as with most things in life. That being said, in early November I wrote about American's flight attendants rejecting their new contract. They were the first work group to undergo negotiations for a new joint contract between legacy American and US Airways, so the situation set an interesting precedent. Out of over 8,000 votes, the contract got turned down over just 16 votes, which is crazy. What also made this vote seem so straightforward is that the proposed contract was worth $193 million in yearly increases, while if the contract went to arbitration it would be capped at $112 million in yearly increases, which even the union acknowledged. I get the contract didn't include everything flight attendants wanted, but in this case it seemed pretty black and white in terms of the money at stake. The post American Flight Attendant Contract Arbitration Complete appeared first on One Mile at a Time.

Continue reading...