American Express

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by malan4milepoint, Feb 25, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. malan4milepoint

malan4milepoint New Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone noticed that fewer and fewer places are actually accepting AMEX cards....Kind of hard to earn points and miles..... :</

tommy777 and jbcarioca like this.
  2. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP, malan4milepoint! Where are you having trouble using AMEX? I haven't noticed it here in the Bay Area, but in Europe, it's sometimes a bit hit or miss (although no worse recently than it had been in the past).

3. OnlyOne

OnlyOne Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not having any more trouble than usual in the middle swath of the country.

tommy777 and jbcarioca like this.
  4. iangilson

iangilson Active Member

Status Points:
    O notice that several places do not accept AMEX cards but they never did.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. they've certainly lost market share in Aus, a lot of people i know that carried Amex for may years no longer do, i believe as a result of Amex taking too much at the retail end and retailers pushing back and not accepting the card, you'd often get the sense in Aust that retailers were never happy with Amex, always asking do you have another card, a MC or Visa?

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    -DO- for Brazil, Southeast Asia and Southern Europe, among others. I have stopped carrying American Express because it seemed useful mostly in the US plus FX rates, FTC or not, always seemed a trifle too dear for me.

GoodBoy likes this.
  7. with the loss of the amex portal bonus points mall in the US, i believe the Chase CSP is a superior product