American Express: refer a friend page no longer working?

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by FrugalAsianMan, Aug 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. FrugalAsianMan

FrugalAsianMan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Quick question to all of you AMEX cardholders out there.... is the recommend your card page (www.americanexpress.com/refer) working for you gents and ladies anymore?

Every time I try loading the page, it gives me a blank page and automatically downloads a "10621-CCSG" file instead. I've tried on Google Chrome & Mozilla Firefox on a Mac, and Google Chrome & Internet Explorer on a Windows.

I'm also getting
    Wondering if anyone else is getting that message or if they're having some system issues.

2. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just logged in and clicked on the refer a friend and it popped up. Seems fine for me.

3. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I sent a few test referrals to myself and friends last week. I received confirmations that most of them went through, but only a small fraction actually arrived at destination emails.

4. FrugalAsianMan

Status Points:
    Alright. So I contacted AskAMex over Twitter first about it, and they sent me this:

So naturally, I went ahead and rebooted my computers and cleared my caches to make sure it wasn't just me. I was able to load the page (which in the past I've had no problems with). But now it shows up with a "We're sorry. The system is not responding. Try again later." error message once I try logging in over there.

After chatting with their digital assist team with the number that I received via Twitter, the tech I spoke to said it's a system wide error right now due to the high volume of folks using the referral system over the past few weeks. (I assume since the SPG promotion came out.) I asked for when the problem would be fixed, she said it may take around a week.

I'm still wondering if anyone else here is able to successfully log into the refer your card page, and get an email invitation sent out. Or if anyone else is having this problem too. haha. I just received and activated my new SPG cards and wanted to send out a few referrals to some friends before the month is over.

UPDATE 7:07 PM Pacific on 8/19/12: For SPG, going through this page first and then clicking on refer a friend on that page seems to work for me: https://www304.americanexpress.com/...pply/jsp/includes/StarwoodMgmDualLandingB.jsp

5. PointsCashMiles

PointsCashMiles Silver Member

Status Points:
  6. FrugalAsianMan

Status Points:
    Thanks for the response. I guess it might just be on my account? Most folks I've talked to says it works for them. Weird. I've been able to get it to work using the program links. (i.e. https://www304.americanexpress.com/...pply/jsp/includes/StarwoodMgmDualLandingB.jsp)

Probably just a random bug then!

7. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Slow_Mustang Silver Member

Status Points:
    I too have been getting the 'System not responding' error for few days. I contacted their customer service, who put an IT person on line. He could not fix the problem, but put my card no. on the master list of complainers, as there had been many before me with the same problem. He promised to have it fixed withing 72 hours. At the expiration of that time frame, I was getting the same error, so I called and they told me they were trying to get it fixed and gave me no estimated operational time. So, it is anybody's guess as to when it might start working again.

BTW, on my online AMEX account page, I can search for 'refer a friend' and land on a referral page, which lets me refer for personal cards only.

Any old timers care to comment or help out????
    -

8. akcae
    Original Member

akcae Silver Member

Status Points:
    One thing that I've found fixes any system errors for me, is to make sure I'm logged out of my Amex account. Then, when using the link to generate a referral, it asks me to log in, and then I am able to get to the page to refer people.

PointsCashMiles likes this.
  9. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the tip. Every whichever way I do it, it takes me to the referral for the personal card only. When I do it through the americanexpress.com/refer address, it takes me to the referral page, but does not accept the biz card info and stops with 'system not responding'. Oh well!

10. FrugalAsianMan

Status Points:
    The refer page only shows personal cards for me too. I suspected it has something to do with the fact that I had my business online account merged into my personal online account. (Normally they are supposed to be split into separate accounts; one for personal cards, one for business.)

In either case, my solution thus far has simply to just use the card-specific program landing pages. Like this one for SPG (which I'm linking in this thread for the third time..lol..): https://www304.americanexpress.com/...pply/jsp/includes/StarwoodMgmDualLandingB.jsp

11. PointsCashMiles

PointsCashMiles Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've found that this link does in fact work for me as long as I am signed into the AMEX account management in another tab before clicking the link. If I'm not already signed in, I get the error when prompted to sign in to my account.

Slow_Mustang likes this.
  12. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. This is the only trick that worked for me. Really appreciate the help.
    I hope Starwood keeps their end of the bargain and does give me 5K points for each referral.

13. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It works for me. It appears you can refer someone to the card you have, and you need to be logged in to see it.

If any one would like a referral to the Premier rewards card I would be happy to supply one.

It looks like I would get 5000, points and the referer gets 25K after spend. and no fee first year.

If your interested PM me your first, last name, and email address.

[​IMG]
    Your friend will receive an offer for the Premier Rewards Gold Card:
    An introductory annual fee of $0 for the first year, then $175, and 25,000 Membership Rewards® bonus points after they spend $2,000 in 3 months(3)

14. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looks like this offer is back on, today when I log in there is big banner for refer a friend.Your friend will receive an offer for the Premier Rewards Gold Card:
    An introductory annual fee of $0 for the first year, then $175, and 25,000 Membership Rewards® bonus points after they spend $2,000 in 3 months(3)

15. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Okay is it just me or when I goto Amex.com/Refer I get

[​IMG]

This campaign has expired. Thank you for your interest, and please check back with American Express for future promotions.

16. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    it's not you, it's been doing that for a few weeks now. No referrals i guess

edekba likes this.
  17. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    That blows. I just convinced two of my friends to get this card :(

18. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    So maybe it's selective? Turned off for those of us who refer too much?

Maybe I'm too friendly.

19. akcae
    Original Member

akcae Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nope, gone across the board for US cards. Even searching the Help section, which used to give a link to the referrals page now produces no relevant results. :(

20. hoyoto

hoyoto Active Member

Status Points:
    too bad it's dead