American Express Premium Car Rental Protection a Must Have

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by flynhwn, Apr 16, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. flynhwn

flynhwn Silver Member

Status Points:
    The American Express Premium Car Rental Protection is an optional upgrade that will give you primary coverage, additional benefits, and higher caps on coverage amounts. I recently got rear ended while parked on the street and the estimate was $4,500+. AMEX handled is directly with the rental company and it cost me nothing. It was taken care of in 6 weeks!
    Enrollment is free and there is no charge until you use it. The coverage links to all your AMEX cards so you don't have to register each card.
    Great service.....Super Protection.... Must Have

IDGflygirl likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Except the $25/rental fee you pay, of course.

Right?? ;)

timfrost likes this.
  3. flynhwn

flynhwn Silver Member

Status Points:
    You get charged $24.95 per rental not per day.
    I don't know why that line was edited out.

gregm and IDGflygirl like this.
  4. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well worth it for a week-long rental... major gouge if you have the car for the day.

IDGflygirl and Wandering Aramean like this.
  5. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    CONFUSED: Majority of VISA< Mastercard and AMEX cards all offer car rental protection for collision without any requirement to signup.
    Problem is:
    1. Not every VISA card or every AMEX card or every Mastercard is eligible but majority are. All VISA Signature cards are and every AMEX card I have checked to date has been.
    2. Failure of VISA, MAEX, MAstercard to define the limits of free coverage. Some HIDE a brochure in glove compartment stating coverage is state minimum. SO do nothing.
    Calling AMEX does not guarantee competent people who understand the program just send you out a booklet.

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's usually secondary insurance while the Amex offering discussed here is primary insurance.

FlyingBear likes this.
  7. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you already have coverage(primary) then why buy AMEX coverage unless underinsured?

AMEX has limits on it's coverage which I have had a hard time getting them to put in writing.

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    So that an accident doesn't affect your regular insurance premiums. That's one reason I can think of off the top of my head. Also the premium version is valid for longer rentals than the free one from AmEx.

And, while many CCs offer coverage of varying sorts, my recollection of the premium AmEx coverage is that it is much more comprehensive than the basic/free CC stuff, even beyond the primary/secondary thing.

FlyingBear and IDGflygirl like this.
  9. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the party that is hit reports the accident to their insurance company then a record of an accident is on file and goes to the DMV.
    Thus driving offenses get reported unless no insurance company is notified. It only takes one to know to get it on record.

10. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Amex Premium Car Rental Protection also covers many more cars than their free rental coverage. For example, their free coverage doesn't cover pickups, large SUVs or cars with an MSRP of $50K or more.

gregm likes this.
  11. flynhwn

flynhwn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Even if the accident is reported your rate will not go up unless your insurance company pays something. AMEX handles everything and clears up all details. While Enterprise reported the accident to my insurance company it was taken off my record because there was no payment made by them.

gregm and FlyingBear like this.