American Express Premium Auto Insurance

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by Sweet Willie, Nov 18, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had not seen this topic discussed but if I missed an existing thread, mods feel free to merge.

There are a number of times where I have used AMEX Premium Auto Insurance, this is a flat rate charged (rather than per day), so quite reasonable over a 3 day or more rental.

This insurance is not a secondary coverage, it is primary (even if you have existing auto insurance). With the coverage I use there isn't a deductible.

I unfortunately needed to file a claim with AMEX as I was the victim of a hit & run (just a word of advice, do NOT follow the hit & run driver into a dark parking lot at 1AM as I foolishly did, nothing happened thankfully, driver & I discussed briefly but then he decided to flee when I told him I had called 911).

AMEX was terrific in their response to the claim, they did a truly fantastic job.

Unfortunately there are some countries where they don't cover auto rentals, Italy being one them (which I'm disappointed about as I'm renting in Italy in just over a week from now)

Newscience, MX, tondoleo and 2 others like this.
  2. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe NZ Israel and n. Ireland are the others my Amex policy excludes. Possibly Jamaica too.

Sweet Willie, tondoleo and jbcarioca like this.
  3. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Newscience and Wandering Aramean like this.
  4. othermike27

othermike27 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have used AMEX cards with purchased primary coverage on domestic rentals, but have yet to file any claims. One thing I have seen mentioned in other threads is that AMEX won't pay loss-of-use costs unless the rental agency gives them detailed rental records that some agencies view as proprietary. Did you run into any of this?

Sweet Willie likes this.
  5. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did not.
    My claim was when I was driving a rental car from National. On the original bill National sent me for the damages, it did have a line item for loss-of-use, which IIRC was quite substantial. I simply FWed all correspondence & damages bill to AMEX. I gave a verbal statement of the accident to AMEX and IIRC to National. After a few weeks, I received a phone call from AMEX stating all is good & the claim was settled with National, I never saw a settlement statement showing what was actually paid. Of course I was not comfortable with only a phone call and asked that AMEX send an email stating all was taken care of, which they promptly did.

6. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I understand that once you enroll, insurance purchases are automatic -- even when you'd rather not buy it. Is it easy or even possible to cancel your enrollment in a hurry?
    Of course, another option for not buying this insurance would be by not charging the rental to any AmEx card. Yes, enrolling one AmEx card automatically enrolls all that are under your name. So this seemingly good deal has a serious nuisance factor involved.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  7. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that is their business model :)

MX likes this.
  8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    IME, yes. Doesn't take too long to get done.

MX likes this.
  9. othermike27

Status Points:
    Yes, that's my understanding too. I mostly rent from Hertz and have 2 cards on file with them - one AMEX and one VISA. How do I choose? Mostly just how lucky I feel when I do the reservation I guess.

MX likes this.
  10. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been enrolled now for a good number of years.

If I want the insurance, I use my AMEX, if I don't, I use other non-AMEX card.

I rent an avg of 25-30 rentals per year & have only once used AMEX when I didn't want the insurance.

So for me personally, there hasn't been a nuisance factor whatsoever.

MX likes this.
  11. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is there anything, other than karma, stopping you from changing the card at return if it is an undamaged rental to not get the fee tacked on and to maximize bonus categories?

12. othermike27

Status Points:
    Well, here's the relevant text from the agreement: "Premium will be billed to your enrolled card and coverage activated each time you use the card to pay for a rental car from a rental company until your enrollment is terminated." I couldn't find anything else that might stop you from making such a switch, but how many times do you think you could pull that stunt before AMEX noticed and decided to work you over with a FR or some other terrible torture? Hmmm?

13. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Precisely, as the AmEx card is required when making the reservation and pre-authorized when checking the car out. I had this service for about a year but recently moved to a Chase card that serves as primary coverage.