American Express Premier Rewards Gold Card updates

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by vickers, Aug 12, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks like the American Express Premier Rewards Gold Card is having some updates:

Up to 3X points
    3X points for airfare purchased directly from airlines
    NEW 2X points at US restaurants
    2X points at US gas stations2X points at US supermarkets
    1X points on other purchases

NEW $100 Airline Fee Credit

Select a qualifying airline and then receive up to $100 per calendar year in statement credits when incidental fees, such as baggage fees and other incidentals, are charged by the airline to your Premier Rewards Gold Card Account.* ‡

NEW No Foreign Transaction Fees
    You will not be charged foreign transaction fees on your Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express.‡

I think Ill still keep my Platinum card. Access to Centurion Lounges and Priority Pass Select, $200 Airline Reimbursement (which I use on Mileage Plus X purchases), and Premier Roadside Assistance are worth the difference in the $255 annual fee.

It is nice the Gold card annual fee is waived the first year, and the bonus earning categories are nice. Hopefully the Platinum card sees some bumps in earning potential. I am currently working towards my $3K minimum spend, but after that, I don't think Ill use the card, but Ill keep it for the benefits.

edekba and uggboy like this.
  2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    vickers likes this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not all of us read the credit card blogs, though :)

And independent of the actual newsiness, there were a couple of items in the OP's post that were potentially interesting and useful to me. I didn't realize that the Plat card came with roadside assistance (I am considering upgrading to AAA Plus) and I also didn't realize that MileagePlus X charges can be reimbursed with the airline credit.

Thanks, OP. I do wish they would add some category bonuses to the Platinum card, especially after the loss of lounge partnerships.

edekba and vickers like this.
  4. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    flyforawg and edekba like this.
  5. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    I took the leap and applied for the card. Was approved and it arrived 2 days later via UPS.

The benefits really did it for me. I will cancel my AAA when it comes back around. I believe all AMEX cards receive roadside benefits, but they have to be paid for. With the Platinum card, 4 instances are free. Benefits are similar to standard AAA.

I was a bit leery about the credit working. But it did. :)

Aug72015
    MPX*PAPA JOHN'S 1-800-421-4655 TX
    $27.17

Aug102015
    AMEX Airline Fee Reimbursement
    -$27.17

Here is the blurb from AMEX: Premium Roadside Assistance can get you help when you need emergency car services. You can call us 24/7 to arrange eligible services such as towing up to ten miles, changing a flat, or jumpstarting a battery—even if you're in your driveway—and we will pay for eligible services up to four times a year. There are some vehicle exclusions and other important restrictions.

6. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    And of course, if anyone would like a referral for the AMEX Platinum card, let me know. ;)

satman40 likes this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    The reason why I am thinking of signing up for AAA Plus (vs. regular, which I have now) is the extended towing range. I am finding myself more and more driving around less densely populated areas of the west and it would suck to have to pay for a tow to the nearest dealership some 80 miles away :)

Then again, as with any insurance for non-catastrophic events, it may in the long run be more cost effective to self-insure.

Right now regular AAA pretty much pays for itself through hotel discounts.

8. hank540i

hank540i Active Member

Status Points:
    If you attach the PRG to the X app, you would get 3x MR.

Show me some love if you found this little tidbit useful. I need lots of likes!!!