American Express Membership Rewards

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by ocmikelaw, Jan 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. ocmikelaw

ocmikelaw Member

Status Points:
    Still trying to get the hang of this. So much information to process. I saw where The Points Guy posted a reminder about turning Amex points into Avios. Since I don't know much about Avios I can't be discouraged by their prior conduct. My wife and I have over 60,000 Amex points. Should I turn them in for Avios? We don't have any particular destinations in mind and I would probably use them for short trips within the U.S.
    Is this the best plan or is there a better use of Amex points.

Thanks in advance. You guys are great!

2. riverchica
    Original Member

riverchica Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm.....I'm sitting on a pile of Avios that I haven't figured out a good way to spend yet. I would love to use them for short US hops but I live in a city with limited direct AA routes and the relative benefit of Avios for short flights is relevant only if you aren't booking multiple legs (the points required are additive).
    If you are thinking about committing your very valuable and flexible MR points to Avios, I would make sure that there are AA legs that you could book that are expensive enough out of pocket to get your value back.
    I would be wary of transferring out of MR unless you have a specific trip in mind!

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  3. ocmikelaw

ocmikelaw Member

Status Points:
    Well I guess that's one of my points. I've looked around the Amex forum and haven't found what a better use of the MR points is. In fact, I've seen complaints that MR doesn't have enough partner airlines. I live close enough to LAX to have lots of options. I Iooked at Avios website and see that LAX - ORD is 10,000 points economy. If that's correct it seems like quite a deal. Or maybe I'm misreading it.

I want to make the best use of all the points I have but I'm new at this. If there is a better use for MR please let me know so I don't waste them.

Thanks riverchica for your help.

4. ocmikelaw

ocmikelaw Member

Status Points:
    I guess the other point I forgot to make is there is a 30% bonus right now so the above mentioned trip is less than 8000 MR points.

5. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    In my experience MR offers bonuses for transfers a few times a year. Last year a transfer of 50K MR to Delta got me a 50% bonus in miles plus enough MQMs to give me silver status. I don't know what MR bonuses will be offered down the line, but I would wait for one that you really like and really fits your needs rather than jumping for a bonus that doesn't really work for you.

6. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Usually, I wouldn't transfer out of AMEX MR or other similar programs (Chase Ultimate Rewards, SPG) unless I had an immediate idea of what I will do with the points. Transferring from AMEX to British Airways takes away the flexibility of having the points in a transferable program.

The generally accepted "rule" about the new BA points is that they are useful for short-haul domestic flights that would normally cost a lot of money. For example, NYC-Toronto can be very expensive, but because it's a short flight, it only costs 4,500 BA Avios points each way to fly on American Airlines. AA would charge 12,500 AA miles for that same trip.

You said you'd be interested in LAX-ORD, which is cheaper through BA (10K one-way) than AA (12.5K one-way). However, I don't think those flights are very expensive, since it's between two major cities with plenty of non-stop options (American, United, and Virgin America, plus Southwest if you don't mind Midway).

If you're still thinking about transferring to BA, I'd read these:

Making Avios Work
    British Airways forum

7. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I never transfer MR points until I am ready to book. Many times AMEX partner airlines will offer bonuses for moving points to their program. Save your points for int'l F or C redemption. Thats where you find the best value for miles.

Toula likes this.
  8. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    you can do LAX-ORD for under $200 at times. save the miles for something more expensive! :)

mailbroad, sobore, riverchica and 2 others like this.
  9. ocmikelaw

ocmikelaw Member

Status Points:
    You're all right. LAX-ORD is a cheap ticket. I will save the points for a more specific purpose. Thanks all. Still learning.

10. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Everyone on here has learned these things at one point or another....no worries and welcome!

11. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you ever get to the point at which you stop learning (or think you do), please do me a favor and keep it to yourself. I prefer not to hang around know-it-alls. :rolleyes:
    I'm kidding with you, of course. But the point is we are still learning. That's one of the reasons we are here. Asking good questions is as important as sharing perspectives on those questions.
    And please don't be afraid to ask "dumb" questions nor to share different perspectives.
    And definitely don't be afraid to give answers that may be wrong or incomplete.
    I do so all the time. ;)
    We learn from our "mistakes" too.

12. asanders0001

asanders0001 Silver Member

Status Points:
    LAX-HNL seems like a pretty good deal using Avios, if you are interested in going to Hawaii.

miles and smiles likes this.
  13. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    : 1) you should decide where you would like to go on an award ticket, 2) what class, 3) how many tickets, and, 4) what alliance. Then you will know how many miles/points are necessary to get to your goal. You then can take advantage of the "bonus" from MR. You don't want to pile up miles in a program and then have them become less valuable. Good luck.

14. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP! I agree with the rest. Don't transfer miles until you have a redemption in mind. MR points transfer quickly so you don't need to have them "ready" in your account or anything like that. Remember, flexibility is a key benefit of MR points Keeping them in your MR account hedges you against specific program devaluations.

IMO it's a bit tougher to get good value out of avios from LAX than some east coast cities. There are some to be had, though. LAX to Hawaii is a good one as well as most short haul last minute flights.

15. infamousdx

infamousdx Silver Member

Status Points:
    Definitely a good deal from LAX. It will be 25k Avios points and ~$20 in fees round trip. That's another win for the distance-based Avios program.

mailbroad and Toula like this.
  16. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I transferred my Amex points to CO last year right before the partnership ended. I currently have close to 90k points but will either transfer them when there is a sweet bonus offer OR if I need them for a flight which is highly unlikely at the moment.

17. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    Amex MR isnt what it was , with the loss of CO Im topping off my pts and transferring them to a Hotel program (only a few 1000) and then CXing the CC

the foreign Carriers kill us with their surcharge fees and who wants more SkyPesos

BA imo is the best place for use on AA short haul or any Domestic tkt as it will most likley be less then AAs or the same but no close-in fees for booking.It all depends where a person is based eg a LAX-SFO s/b 4500 miles each way (I know the fares are cheap but since you wont earn a boat of EQMs its OK imo to use miles. Out of NY Florida is 15k r/t while its 25k with AA miles

Id rather use my Amex SPG CC and earn *W pts

tondoleo and infamousdx like this.
  18. infamousdx

infamousdx Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree with you, craz. If I had to do it over again, I would have just transferred my in-between sized balance to CO. I have about 90k MR and it does no good after the BA devaluation since I'm only chasing international premium cabins for 2.

Because of that, I'm staying put in hopes that maybe BA will run a bigger transfer bonus or something.

craz, tondoleo and Toula like this.
  19. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    problem is BA hits us with tons of surcharges per flight segment and it means flying via LHR which the UK kills us with their taxes.

so it might pay if a person only wants Premium cabins and LHR is the final destination. For a trip that meant 2 BA long haul flights Iit would cost me apx $1000, well a Y tkt is just a couple hundred more and Id earn a ton of EQMs

so my plan is to blow my BA miles on AA within the US when fares are too high or not enough EQMs to be had eg NY-MIA. If I can fly on AA or LAN w/o being hit with the surcharges for CA or SA flights Id use them there as well but no way for Europe or Asia where BA will empty my wallet

but what might work for me might not for others, and since I have a ton of BA miles I wont be adding to them anytime soon