American Express Gift Card

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by TrueBlueFlyer, Feb 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm a bit confused about this gift card... I used a small balance on my Membership Rewards Express account to redeem for a $25 gift card. (on special for 3500 points)

Got the card, it says I cannot use it on recurring purchases... there goes that idea, my plan was to either pay cable or wireless bill. But more importantly, the paper slip this card came glued to says $3.95 purchase charge.... so is my card only good for $21?

That kind of sucks, to be honest.

2. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    PS. does anyone have experience using gift cards for international purchases??? My plan B was to keep some Citi Visa and this AMEX gift cards for purchases made in Asia for say... airline tickets on AirAsia or JetStar... any experience with those?

3. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think recurring is putting it on the account for them to hit each time, I can't seee them stopping a one time charge from going through (but I don't know that for sure). They are fine for international use, just expect to be charged exchange fees similar to a cc.

There was a fee free promo for the Amex gift cards - any fee should be separately paid/charged but they put a stickie on it???? The card amount should be equal to the face value when you received it (you have cause to complain if that is not the case)

4. techboyds
    Original Member

techboyds Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have used gift cards, both AMEX and non, to pay utility bills, many times (my father in law, for instance, gives us an AMEX gift card for Christmas nearly every year, and that's one way to unload it and ensure not leaving a few cents or whatever on it). I'm pretty sure that term is referring to giving the number to a merchant who charges it every month, which wouldn't really apply in your case unless you have a really small bill. :)

In terms of the fee, that's usually applied on purchase, but doesn't affect the round number on the gift card, so I'd imagine you actually have the full $25. It's fairly easy to check the balance, though, either online or by phone as I recall.

5. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I checked the balance, on the phone and online... says $25... just don't see how the $3.95 gets applied, must be after the purchase... what if I make the $25 purchase? Calling the gift card phone line specifically states that AMEX did away with the afterpurchase fees.

I moved recently and found a few gift cars I hadn't used yet... including this one its still not enough to cover the family phone bill, lol

6. polar_bear
    Original Member

polar_bear Active Member

Status Points:
    Fee only applies on a purchase of the gift card. Since you redeemed MR points there was no fee. You are good for the entire $25 balance.

7. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    good... used it for Verizon and it worked, yay!

8. Bikeguy
    Original Member

Bikeguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I try to use the specific amount gift cards at the gas pump, where I can put the precise amount of gas in the car and not worry about getting the last dollar or two off the card.

icurhere2 and travelingmore like this.
  9. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is just about what I do (and I have about $3,000 worth from Delta and OfficeMax). If I have a purchase that gets the prepaid card down to less than $10, I burn the remainder of the card paying toward my cell phone bill online (no human interaction). If I have a purchase that gets the prepaid down into the $10-$20 range, I burn the remainder at a gas station (requires explaining to clerk why one wants $12.53 in fuel).

10. ORDflyer
    Original Member

ORDflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    By the way, there is a special going on gift cards with points. If I have it right, I paid 26000 for $200 instead of 30000.

11. MIA
    Original Member

MIA Active Member

Status Points:
    This means that if you had purchased the card at a retail store you would have paid $28.95. The $3.95 fee is the retailer's markup. When you redeem MRE points this fee is hidden in the redemption. You can see this by comparing the number of points required for a $25 American Express giftcard versus a $25 merchant giftcard.

12. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    thank you kindly... already redeemed the $25 gift card I ordered for 3,500 points for full face value. thanks!