American Express Downgrades

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by gconnery, Nov 26, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thinking about having the wife downgrade her Amex Green card to a Blue. The idea being to open her up to being able to apply for an Amex Gold PRG in the future (+90 days at least). I'm assuming the Blue would do the job of keeping her original join date alive for any future credit cards, helping out her future credit history. Anybody have experience with doing this?

2. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looking like this isn't possible, since the Green is a Charge Card and the Blue is a Credit Card. I guess with Zync gone there isn't a download from Green anymore? I don't there are any Amex Charge cards other than the Green, Gold, Platinum and Gold PRG. Guess she has to cancel then.

The issue with THAT is that her Green is her only non-branded Amex card. I assume when she later applies for an Amex Gold that given the way Amex back-dates your start dates to your first date of membership that it'll still show an old start date, even if there has been a gap in having any cards for some number of months?

3. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're old enough, you can downgrade the Green to a Senior ($35/year).

I'm not sure that the original "member since" date would carry over if you have an actual gap with no AMEX cards, but I have no actual experience with that.

4. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had no problem changing "member since" date on the Platinum card I got recently after about a 5 year break. A single call to CSR did it.

5. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Didn't know about the Amex Gold Senior thanks, but in this case I don't think it helps, since its another Gold card and would presumably keep her from being able to get the bonus on a new PRG in the future. I think she has to cancel the Green. I may have her apply for a Blue NAF before she cancels the Green just to hold the member since thing just in case.

Counsellor likes this.
  6. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, the AMEX Senior is a greenish color, on a white background (unlike the "regular" AMEX Green), not a Gold. It's a charge card, though.

7. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
  8. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points: