American Express Card Member Offer for Small Business Saturday

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by canucklehead, Sep 19, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Coming soon........

miles and smiles, Mapsmith and kellio like this.
  2. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    $10 credit for transaction of $10 or more this time.....

UP TO 3 transactions per card!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  3. danielwood

danielwood Gold Member

Status Points:
    Which Saturday?

Mapsmith and kellio like this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
  5. lapointdm

lapointdm Silver Member

Status Points:
    About the same as last year. Maybe not awesome awesome (no getting rich here), but free money is free money and it's good that they are supporting small businesses.

Mapsmith and kellio like this.
  6. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last year I was in JFK that Saturday so I had no opportunity to shop small. I did use an Amex at a Wendy's near my gate. Amex counted it as a "shop Small" purchase and I got the $10. Somehow I don't see that as helping small business but who am I to argue with either Ms. Wendy or Mr. Amex?

7. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Always is the Saturday after Black Friday which means the Saturday after Thanksgiving.
    Which makes it November 29, 2014

We always participate from both sides. My store is a Small Business that takes AMEX and we have AMEX cards that we register to use. Hey $10 is $10. Half of a meal out.

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Can you attribute additional sales that you otherwise wouldn't have had to the Amex promotion, or does it actually cost you money when people who might have paid with a lower-cost (to you) card use their Amex?

Mapsmith, canucklehead and kellio like this.
  9. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, the rate difference on AMEX vs. Visa/MC/Discover with an affinity card is not really that much difference. Particularly on a $10 sale. Amex is $.32 VMD is $.26 plus $.05 for the affinity. So we are talking about a penny charged to the merchant for a $10 sale. So additional Sales really is not affected by the card. And to ANY small business, more sales is more sales. That is one reason why we participate.

10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, I didn't know the difference was so minimal. Is the fee the same for all Amex cards?

In any case, while I have never particated in the offer (since I have always been out of the country over Thanksgiving in recent years), I don't think (hope) I would buy extra stuff just because it's free, but rather I would get stuff I would have bought anyway and enjoyed the payment from Amex. Or at least I would like to think I would be that rational :D

Mapsmith and bigx0 like this.
  11. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even if you buy things you usually buy you may buy them at a "small" due to the promotion. It's also great just to stop at a local eatery and have a snack and a drink. That's something I might not otherwise have done. So if either of these two cases apply then it IS helping the small business.

Mapsmith and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  12. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've only seen a half dozen or so merchant agreements over the past year or so but none of them have charged more for affinity cards. I thought that was a pretty much dead practice. After all, a large percentage of cards these days are affinity cards. Likewise, some (but not all) of those agreements charge exactly the same for Amex as for the others. So I'm surprised by that extra affinity charge. Do most agreements still have it?

Mapsmith likes this.
  13. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    The merchant agreement usually does not say specifically that the affinity cards will be charged more, but the "updates" to the agreement usually will add them. (Sort of like getting to a hotel and finding a "resort charge" added) Unless you want to cancel the agreement, you have to deal with it.

Actually the standard for AMEX is about 3 to 3.25%. Visa/MC/Discover is usually between 2 and 2.5%. All are dependent on the monthly turn and size of the average ticket. It used to be that Discover was the cheapest at about 1.6% but MC took them under their wing and raised to the same as MC. Almost all processors now charge a small additional charge for Affinity cards and even Corporate Cards. This usually runs between .005% per card to as much as .05% per card. And they always seem to have a swipe fee for each purchase. The merchants do have all these little picky fees added to the Credit Card charges. But it is just the price of doing business. And as AMEX likes to point out (as trying to justify the higher fee) people using AMEX usually have a higher ticket or buy more or buy better quality. We do actually see that. The Average ticket for Visa (remember I am a small retailer) is about $20 for Amex it is closer to $45.

14. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    As others have noted last Saturday in Nov - Nov 29th.
    Please remember, you have to register your Amex to be eligible as there is limited enrollment.
    Registration opens Nov16th at 12:00 A.M. MST until Nov 29 11:59 P.M. MST or until the registration limit is reached.

15. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    After reading from @Mapsmith about all the fees, I gotta say, like or hate Paypal, there really is no swipe fee and no distinguishing between Amex/VMD/Affinity cards with some of their plans. PayPal Here, for example, is a flat 2.7%, but that's obviously not practical for a volume business. Square is pretty much the same.

Mapsmith likes this.
  16. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    For really small business, Square or Paypal are okay. But for an actual Bricks and Mortar Retail Store, a processing company is way better. Even with the picky fees.

danielwood likes this.
  17. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Full T&C

1. Limit three (3) $10 statement credits per eligible American Express Card. To receive the offer, Card Members must
    register any eligible American Express Card for this offer. Corporate Cards and all prepaid Card products (other than
    American Express Serve® and Bluebird®) are not eligible.
    Registration may be performed via any of the following ways:
    A. By completing the registration form accessible via ShopSmall.com
    B. By logging in to your account at americanexpress.com and clicking on the ‘Amex Offers’ tab or ‘Small Business
    Saturday’ offer tile in ‘Amex Offers & Benefits’
    C. By logging into the American Express App and visiting the ‘Offers For You’ tab in the ‘Membership’ section
    D. By adding the offer directly to your connected Card via amex.co/facebook
    E. By tweeting #AmexShopSmall to add the offer directly to your connected Card

2. The number of registrations is limited. Registration opens at 12:00 A.M. MST (“Mountain Standard Time”) on Nov 16,
    2014 and will continue until 11:59 P.M. MST on Nov 29, 2014, unless the registration limit is reached sooner.

3. To receive the $10 statement credit, the Card Member must use his or her registered Card to spend $10 or more in a
    single, in-store transaction at a qualifying small business location on Saturday, Nov 29, 2014. For example, if your
    transaction is only for $5, you will not receive a credit. Multiple transactions of less than $10 will not qualify even if the
    combined total of those transactions is over $10. You may purchase multiple items that together equal $10 or more, but
    you must purchase them in a single transaction to receive the statement credit. Online transactions do not qualify.

4. Qualifying small business locations appear on the Shop Small® Map available at ShopSmall.com. Please note that the
    businesses listed on the Shop Small Map may change. In addition, business location and other information provided on
    the Shop Small Map may contain inaccuracies or errors, including as a result of information provided by third parties.
    Transactions with political campaigns or political action committees as well as purchases at gas or service stations do not
    qualify for the statement credit, regardless of whether they appear on the Shop Small Map.

5. If American Express does not receive information that identifies a transaction as having occurred in-store at a
    qualifying small business location on Nov 29, 2014, the transaction will not qualify for the statement credit. For example,
    your transaction will not qualify if it is not made directly with the merchant. In addition, in most cases, you will not
    receive the statement credit if your transaction is made with an electronic wallet or through a third party or if the
    merchant uses a mobile or wireless card reader to process it.

6. The statement credit will appear on your billing statement within 90 days after Nov 29, 2014, provided that American
    Express receives information from the merchant about your qualifying purchase as described above. Note that American
    Express may not receive information that identifies your transaction as a qualifying transaction if the items from your
    purchase are not all provided to you on Nov 29, 2014. For example, if you purchase an item that is not available until
    after Nov 29, 2014, that item will not count towards determining whether your transaction qualifies for the offer.

7. The statement credit may be reversed if the qualifying purchase is returned or cancelled.

18. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is going to be so great. I have 4 AMEX (including my Serve cards), so this means $120 in cash back in one day. Thanks AMEX!

19. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    William JLP, kellio and canucklehead like this.
  20. danielwood

danielwood Gold Member

Status Points:
    This Year "Limit three (3) $10 statement credits" is much better than of Last year. I remember last year was (1) $10 statement credit.

Wish AMEX can offer multiple small business days over a year.

21. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Limit three (3) $10 statement credits per eligible American Express Card.?

This seems much more generous then last years promo. Which I believe was credit per card, 3 max per account.
    so if I have three cards on my account and I got 3 credits.

so this seems to read that I can get 3 credits per card of which I have three (mine, wife, daughter), so I can get 9 credits of $10?

Are business cards eligible for the credit too? ( cards says "Amex Business" not "Corporate")

22. lapointdm

lapointdm Silver Member

Status Points:
    the business cards should also be eligble as long as they aren't corporate cards

DJP_707 likes this.