American Express Canada Signs New Multi-Year Agreements with Aimia & Air Canada

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by tcook052, Nov 14, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. tcook052
    Original Member

tcook052 Silver Member

Status Points:
    http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/126...w-multi-year-agreements-with-aimia-air-canada

MARKHAM, ON, Nov. 14, 2013 /CNW/ - American Express Canada today confirmed multi-year agreements with Aimia, parent company of Aeroplan, as well as Air Canada, North America's top-rated airline. The new agreements extend the long relationship between the three companies and will include enhancements to the existing suite of premium AeroplanPlus co-branded charge cards with a unique new premium travel credit card launching next year. Amex currently offers AeroplanPlus cards for both consumers and corporations. Additionally, Aeroplan will continue to be a participant in the Membership Rewards Program offered on select American Express charge cards through which points can be transferred to Aeroplan 1:1.

"We are thrilled to announce this partnership renewal with Aimia and Air Canada," said Howard Grosfield, President and CEO, American Express Canada. "Today's announcement allows us to further strengthen our relationships and better serve our Cardmembers by continuing to provide access to a distinguished loyalty program in Aeroplan and to Canada's largest full-service airline, Air Canada."

AeroplanPlus cards are one of the fastest ways to earn Aeroplan Miles, with spend on these cards qualifying towards Aeroplan's new Distinction program. Distinction is Aeroplan's new multi-level recognition program that rewards top accumulating members with three levels of exclusive flight reward benefits, bonus mile offers, preferential treatment, and privileges. Cardmembers will also continue to enjoy preferred Air Canada benefits such as access to Maple Leaf Lounges and Priority Check-In.

"As the leading premium loyalty program in Canada, Aeroplan is delighted to continue its long-standing partnership with American Express to offer AeroplanPlus Cardmembers all of the benefits and privileges that come with being a member of both Aeroplan and Amex," said Vince Timpano, President and CEO of Aimia in Canada. "Adding to the excitement is the launch of Distinction, which will provide members with access to better rewards and privileges than ever before."

"We are very excited to extend our partnership with American Express and offer our shared customers the best possible travel experience and benefits," said Ben Smith, Executive Vice President and Chief Commercial Officer, Air Canada.

This growing partnership means Cardmembers will continue to receive unparalleled offerings in the travel rewards space and access to a new premium card to better serve their needs.

2. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wonder how much more Amex is being forced to pony up now that Aimia got the enhanced deal with TD.

3. banane

banane Member

Status Points:
    Any idea how much a mile actually costs Amex?

4. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was kinda hoping that Amex would broaden their horizon and offer something a little more than Aeroplan as a transfer partner from membership rewards.

5. YEGman

YEGman Silver Member

Status Points:
    If it weren't for the fact I get the card free as a Charter Member from the CCAA days I wouldn't keep it. Occasionally I would use it for MLL access before the Premium Lounges opened in YYZ and YEG where my Amex Platinum is all I need.

6. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would imagine that kind of info would be considered proprietary.

7. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would imagine a little bit more than 1.0 cents per aeroplan point, but not much more under their current deal. I suspect TD will be in the 1.2 cent range.

8. Reddishbead

Reddishbead Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would think it's less than that, i.e. less than 1 cent. For instance, I got myself an Amex Aeroplan Plat card through a referral link from a member in the Amex forum and it is supposed to give me 51K in all for $499, which makes the cost of 1 AE mile a little less than a cent for me. Surely, Amex wouldn't make a promotion where they lose money... unless there is something I don't understand?

YULtide and tomh009 like this.
  9. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I also think it should be less. I would expect TD to pay less than 1 cent as their "premium" option (Gold Elite) gives you 1 cent in cash; this one should likely cost TD less than that.

YULtide likes this.
  10. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I have no data to comment on Amex's cost per mile, they might deem it worth losing a few dollars on your signup bonus as a marketing investment in having a new lucrative client. They'll make their money on their cut every time you use the card.

The Lev and tomh009 like this.
  11. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Amex also takes a much bigger cut than Visa and MC, so the signup promo can easily be a loss leader.

LETTERBOY and YULtide like this.
  12. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    They also stand to make more money on foreign exchange when you use the card outside North America. The small print on the agreement says they convert twice: first to $US and then to $CA.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  13. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some other cards do the same ... :(

YULtide likes this.